AC blows hot air then engine overheats!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harry

Reaction score
Hey everyone, this past weekend I was parked and had my car running for about an hour. And out of no where my AC stops blowing cold air. And I realize that the engine temperature was rising. As soon as I turn the AC off. Temperature goes down to normal. What can it be? Thank you in advance 4.6 triton

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this past weekend I was parked and had my car running for about an hour. And out of no where my AC stops blowing cold air. And I realize that the engine temperature was rising. As soon as I turn the AC off. Temperature goes down to normal. What can it be? Thank you in advance 4.6 triton

Your electric boost fan may have stopped working, causing the ac to shut down and the engine to overheat.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Check the condition of your fan clutch. With the engine off spin the radiator fan by hand and see if there's still some resistance to it. Of course make sure there's nothing blocking the front of the condenser and that it's fins aren't mangled so that air can easily flow through it. I suspect it's just a worn out fan clutch.

OP
OP
H

Harry

Reaction score
Check the condition of your fan clutch. With the engine off spin the radiator fan by hand and see if there's still some resistance to it. Of course make sure there's nothing blocking the front of the condenser and that it's fins aren't mangled so that air can easily flow through it. I suspect it's just a worn out fan clutch.
If there's resistance does it mean it's gone bad?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well the fan was still blowing air but it became hot air.

I meant the electric radiator / condenser boost fan (which is in addition to the mechanical fan with a clutch to engage / disengage it). I did not mean the HVAC system fan.

Motorcity muscle

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With an older truck I would rinse out the condenser and make sure the bottom baffle is in place under truck.

Last edited: