AC no cold air

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris08LTD

Reaction score
Well. Last week I had to deal with the dilemma on my 08's shifter assembly. Finally that's out of the way. This week my 98's ac stopped blowing cold air. The dealership called me today and said it's gonna cost around $1500 to fix. OUCH!!! Any forum members here from Las Vegas knows a reputable mechanic or auto ac repair shop? Thanks

OP
OP
C

Chris08LTD

Reaction score
Here's the update on my diagnostic report: AC blows warm air. Ambient temp is 74 degrees. AC compressor cycles fast. Check pressures low 20psi high 130 psi. Added 8oz of R134 to AC system. Check for AC leaks. Found AC manifold line leaking and compressor leaking out front shaft. Has any members done this project on their Expy? I'm just curious on how hard or easy is this to do. I got the Ford part number for the manifold line that I need (XL1Z19D850BA).
I'd appreciate any input, tips or suggestions you guys have about this matter. Thanks

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not had to do this ( thankfully - knock on wood ) but I have heard that changing the compressor can be a PITA. I have heard quite a few say that there is not enough room to do the compressor from the bottom so you have to pull the clutch fan off to pull it up from the top side.

I am sure that you can probably do it and save alot of money ( probably around $900 in savings compressor $250, manifold assembly $165, suction hose and accumulator $90 + R134A [ prices are from Autozone online] ) . Have a local shop recover whatever 134A is left in the system if any and the rest you can do yourself. Autozone has the vaccum pump and gauge set for rent so you can recharge the system yourself ( upfront charge for rental but you get it back when returned ) just follow the pressure guidlines on the can.

One thing that I always recomend after haveing the A/C system open is to let the vaccum pump run over night to make sure any/all moisture is out of the system ( moisture with the 134A oil causes acid that will eat the lines and seals ). In the morning look at the gauge and see what it is reading and make a note of it. Turn the pump off ( make sure you close the line from the guages to the pump first or it will suck in air from outside ) then let it sit for 30 min to an hour and look at the gauge again to make sure that none of the vaccum has been lost. As long as you have not lost any vaccum then you do not have any more leaks and you can charge the system and enjoy.

It sounds harder than it really is, just take your time and you will be happy with the money savings :D

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris08LTD

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply Racenut. I definitely will enjoy the money savings by doing it myself. Especially after the dealership quoted $1500. I just have to get my mind into "wrenching mode" again, like what I had to do when I had to replace that leaky intake manifold on the T-bird earlier this year. It took me almost 3 days, but like you said. I took my time and did it right.