Adaptive Cruise Control Scare

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jnbhobe

Reaction score
My 23 Platinum did this all the time, see a speed sign and jump 20 to 40 mph. Not sure if it was the Blue Cruise or just in the cruise, but my wife totaled the car in April and I replaced it with a loaded Limited

CDNRabbit

Reaction score
I've not had an issue when it reads the signs correctly, but that isn't all the time

Sometimes it reads warning signs as speed limits, sometimes it picks up signs on side roads, some times it picks up high speed signs while on side roads... The worst was when it picked up the speed limit for the scale lanes and slammed the breaks going from 110km/h to 10km/h.

We don't use speed sign recognition anymore.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 23 Platinum did this all the time, see a speed sign and jump 20 to 40 mph. Not sure if it was the Blue Cruise or just in the cruise, but my wife totaled the car in April and I replaced it with a loaded Limited
Did she total it from the cruise control?

Flathead40

Reaction score
You can disable this feature of adaptive cruise and still have adaptive cruise control (following the car in front). I believe it’s called speed sign recognition under adaptive in the driver assistance settings. We leave it off because there’s no intelligence in it, it either brakes hard right at a sign that lowers the speed or accelerates aggressively when it increases. There’s a separate setting for speed warning that will still show the posted speed on the cluster and flash when you exceed by the tolerance.

Dahammer

Reaction score
Here in NY, the speed limit is mostly 55mph. However, adaptive cruise control uses maps (Speed Limit) and speed sign recognition.
In my experience, at least, I have confirmed this by using Ford or Apple maps on the big screen; they show the WRONG speed limit, and adaptive cruise goes to the higher speed limit.

Example: I'm getting on the highway and reaching 55mph. I press to activate the cruise, and there is no signage yet; however, I know it's 55mph. All of a sudden, my vehicle accelerates to 70 mph, and when she encounters a posted speed limit sign later, it resets back to 55 mph or whatever is posted. Maps show 70mph, but the speed limit is 55mph.

In conclusion, Maps both Apple and Ford have the wrong speed posted. I'm still responsible for maintaining the correct speed, and if I don't, I'll get a speeding ticket.

BobCharlie

Reaction score
I had to turn off the speed limit sign recognition with adaptive cruise because I’d be on the highway and it would pick up a sign on the access road and slow me down to 45 mph. Very annoying.