Alternator voltage too high?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dustin Gebhardt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much voltage is too much? My voltage measured across the battery terminals while my '07 is idling is between 16VCD and 17VDC. This is measured using a Fluke model 111 digital multimeter. If I check the battery in the morning after sitting all night, it reads a normal 11.5VDC (its an O'reilly SuperStart Platinum AGM). I haven't noticed any issues, but I'm sure the higher voltage isn't great for the battery, and I hope that there are no electronics that are sensitive to an extra 15-20% voltage.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
How much voltage is too much? My voltage measured across the battery terminals while my '07 is idling is between 16VCD and 17VDC. This is measured using a Fluke model 111 digital multimeter. If I check the battery in the morning after sitting all night, it reads a normal 11.5VDC (its an O'reilly SuperStart Platinum AGM). I haven't noticed any issues, but I'm sure the higher voltage isn't great for the battery, and I hope that there are no electronics that are sensitive to an extra 15-20% voltage.

Odd. A battery sitting all night should not be at 11.5. That is too low.
12.2-12.5 is more like it.
Running is normally 14.2-14.8.
Try another meter.
My Town Cars will turn the dash and radio off if the voltage gets above 16 or so.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Have the alternator load tested at AutoZone, etc. (free). May need a new regulator (?).