Any easy way to ADD a cabin air filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes allergies and offensive smells piss me off...shocking!

USMCBuckWild

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be honest, thats a pretty good question. I, as well, am not a huge fan of smelling diesel exhaust and such. A filter may not help a whole lot, but every little bit helps

OP
OP
A

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
To be honest, thats a pretty good question. I, as well, am not a huge fan of smelling diesel exhaust and such. A filter may not help a whole lot, but every little bit helps

A filter would make all the difference.

I could spend ALL DAY on interstates in downtown or by the docks in my other car, a bimmer with cabin air filter (which I swapped every couple months), and my allergies would actually CLEAR UP ...and flare back up when I got back home.

Did wonders for fatigue levels too

GalaxyPilot

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My wife would love if we could do this. Could it be as simple as measuring the outlet from the box that holds the blower (squirrel cage) and finding a square filter that would fit?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree that a HVAC passenger air filter is very important.

I bought my first Ford, a new 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4, after owning GM and Dodge vehicles for 40+ years.

The sales person told me that the Expedition had the filter and also displayed the individual tires pressures, and after I bought the vehicle I learned that was false.

The HVAC air filter on my GM vehicles collect an amazing amount of dirt, dust and pollen.

I am amazed that Ford does not include the HVAC filter, especially for the cost of the Expedition. Had I known that there was no filter provision and the tire pressures did not display indiviuallly, it would have been a deal breaker.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can only imagine that if Ford did offer Expedition with cabin filters, there'd be mad numbers of people complaining about the unethical added cost of routine maintenance. How they are nothing more than mold magnets due to their dark and often moist environments, about how they do nothing but restrict HVAC airflow, pure marketing gimmick accusations. Then there'd be complaints of clogged evaporator cores, how they contribute to a hard-to-clean film build-up on the windshield, how they hold onto smells rather than actually filter them. Surely some complains about how they should be stand alone options and not included in packages, gripes on dealers charging too much for the service while also creating their own false intervals, complaints of used dealers not changing them. You'd hear from those of us in the midwest who frequently drive on dirt and gravel roads. Always there is a guy (or gal) who has to point out how there have been cars for 100 years without these gadgets, etc. You know, the same things posted regularly on the BMW & Infiniti forums that I lurk.

K&N makes a washable cabin filter for a handful of vehicles and as you might expect, some people argue until they are blue in the face that those filters don't work either.

Maybe Expedition window regulators are designed with your health in mind? Keep those windows up people. Except you claustrophobics, go ahead and put yours down. Point is, Ford never has and never will be able to please everyone.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm reading in the 17 manual about a cabin air filter light so maybe the 17s have them. I'm taking mine in tomorrow to have the headlights aimed so I'll ask the service writer about it.

Andy