Anyone have a winch setup?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mag162

Reaction score
I'm wanting to add a winch to my Expo. Any board members have winches installed?
What was involved in adding it?

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
The question above is important because the newer the truck the harder it is to mount a winch. There are hidden mounts for early generations.
There are also entire replacement bumpers that are available for most generations. Not the cheapest way to do it though.

The multi-mount (removable) is always a great way to go, especially if you aren't planning on using the winch very often.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah I always thought that it looked as if the front bumper on the 97-98's were specifically made with a winch in mind. Not for sure though.

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
19181095.jpg

Truck already had it installed when I bought it.

From the rust on some of the bolts, I suspect it was put on a good many years ago. That is on my list of summer projects,; cleaning up the rusty bits and adding brush guards for the headlights...

Looks like it wasn't a difficult install though. Install the grill guard, put the winch on the winch tray, run a couple of battery cables.

Last edited:

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What year is your Expedition?

He's got a 2000, from seeing a couple other posts from him...

There are also entire replacement bumpers that are available for most generations. Not the cheapest way to do it though.

Speaking of which, I really like the looks of the one you have in your sig. picture.

Thinking of building myself a similar style one (I was a welder by trade in a previous life...)

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mag162

Reaction score
Yes my Expo is a 2000. I looked at some bumper winch combo's and although they are badass looking. I cant swing it right now.

Flightstopper

Reaction score
I have a Warn 9.5 ti mounted behind the front bumper with a hidden mount. It was pretty easy to do and is well worth the money

Lightnig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've thought about changing to a hidden winch mount as well, but I gotta be honest here; I love the intimidation value of the existing set up.

So many times I've seen people look at me and decide not to pull out in front of me. I can only imagine it's because they see that big chunk of steel hanging right out in front of my truck bearing down on them, and figure they'd really rather not have it embedded in the side of their driver's door...

hehehe ;-)

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've thought about changing to a hidden winch mount as well, but I gotta be honest here; I love the intimidation value of the existing set up.

So many times I've seen people look at me and decide not to pull out in front of me. I can only imagine it's because they see that big chunk of steel hanging right out in front of my truck bearing down on them, and figure they'd really rather not have it embedded in the side of their driver's door...

hehehe ;-)

I dont know man... I think it has more to do with the 3 tons of steel sitting behind that chunk in front haha.