Anyone use their Expedition for camping?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

trailblazr81

Reaction score
Hey guys Im looking at getting a first gen Expedition for a camping rig. Probly just go with a 4.6L 2 wheel drive, add some A/Ts and if it doesnt have it a limited slip. Only off road it will see are gravel or dirt roads/trails. Nothing serious. Im thinking of adding a roof basket, some aux lighting, a optima deep cycle or 2 battery system, some kind of window covering for sleeping. The plan is to fold down the rear seats for sleeping on a air mattress. Maybe build a storage compartment and sleep on it. Any ideas? Anyone do this? My gear consists of a folding table, camp stove, an ice chest tho may get a 12 volt cooler, small propane heater, a couple chairs, maybe some astro turf, a shade canopy, as well as the sleeping bags, mattress, pillows, etc. I'm just looking for ideas on how to make it a better camping rig, and to keep my gear stored securely. Im done using a tent.

Madmaxwell87

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't have an expy yet but when I do that's exactly what I want to do with mine, granted with more 4wheeling so Ill go 4x4. Sorry I don't have an answer but a free bump so you can get some answers.

Reaction score
Have you given thought to a pop up camper? Much more confortable and tows easily behind a monster like the Expedtion. Granted, you still have canvas to deal with, but if you want to go exploring, you leave the camper at the campground, hop in your vehicle and explore. Pop up campers can be as simple as a tent on wheels or as elaborate and having full on board facilities like heat, hot water, air conditioning, a potty and a shower. We had one for 4 years and loved it. We now use a much larger travel trailer, but still camp quite a bit.

Food for thought.

OP
OP
T

trailblazr81

Reaction score
Ive thought of this, and pulling it behind my little Ranger. But they have like 3" of ground clearance. And its still like a tent in that light easily shines through and so does noise. I also camp at a race track that I work at, so while the crazies party all night I need to get up at 6AM so some shielding from light and sound is helpful. Years ago I had a Grand Cherokee and slept in it, only problem was it was short so I had to sleep diagonal in it, and it left little room for all my gear.

Glxy500

Reaction score
Just gonna be you or do you have kids? You should have everything you need to good camp out. Windows should give you sufficient privacy for sleeping. 12v Cooler is ok. I use ice chests. I load mine up and when I get where I am going I sit mine out beside the truck, chairs also. If you are not going serious offroad, I used my lawnmower trailer and had a big truck tool box. ( one that sits down in the bed of the truck). I put my Lanterns, Cookstove, extra tents, ( 2 man). Camp stools, Supplies, etc. If it rains, it keeps it out of the weather and dry and everything is together. Plus all your coolers and supplies easily accessible.

Shadetree

Reaction score
Roof box is a must. I modified a ladder so it attaches to the roof rack and easily stores next to the roof box...I have a folding 3X6 aluminum table with adjustable legs that I modified to hook to the back with the lift gate up. I built a stabilizer bar that hooks to the trailer hitch that helps support the table. I have six 6 foot poles that extend out to 14 feet. Two I attach to the roof rack that extends 10 feet passed the back of the Expy and two that attach to the ends of the roof poles to the ground for support, and a 5 foot pole with clamps that attach to the two roof poles that keep them parallel when I throw over an old flat sided tent and tie it down. That leaves two poles I also attach to the roof rack to extend over the side of the Expy for an awning.....I put this rig together as a temporary set-up two days after I bought the Expy in '97 for a prospecting trip..and was going to buy a tent trailer later...I never bought the tent trailer, but I did get a little 8 foot trailer for a hundred bucks to haul my dredge and any other equipment..If I can get by without it, I don't like to pull a trailer because I go to some pretty rugged places..but I've used my "temp" set-up more times than I can count..I went from a Cherokee to the Expy and it seems that I have twice the room for camp stove, porta-potty, water, fuel, tent, tarps, sleeping, etc, etc...Just use the roof box for your least used items and make sure it is packed solid....don't forget the air mattress..Walmart sells one that fits like it was made for the Expy...and you can never take too many moving blankets....

Don't forget..never drive faster than your guardian angel can fly....

tallsville

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used mine to sleep in out of town and i believe a coleman queen size mattress fits perfectly in the back with the seats down. I have windows with the titanium limo tint. so highly reflective and cant see inside of truck during day if you have front window shade.

and shadetree please add photos of temp set up would like to see that

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've used mine to sleep in out of town and i believe a coleman queen size mattress fits perfectly in the back with the seats down. I have windows with the titanium limo tint. so highly reflective and cant see inside of truck during day if you have front window shade.

and shadetree please add photos of temp set up would like to see that

privacy huh? getting down with your bad self now huh?? haha gross! haha but ive slept in my truck FULL of crap! it had a tent, 3 big boxes ol crap, my 3rd row, spare fuel, tools, my huge ass amp, a few ********* trash bags full of clothes, blankets, and sleeping bags. all this to go to the desert for one night! haha i slept in the back at an angle, my buddy slept in the pass seat. not that bad of a sleep for 4 hours. went to bed at 4 woke up at 8 do to the trucks hauling ass since we went there for a race. haha i would do it a bit different. this trip im planning im going to NOT take a tent and camping crap. everything else for camping, just not the tent and sleeping stuff. and im going to leave my 3rd row at home. less weight for the rock crawling parts.

countrygirl6

Reaction score
Yes, I use my expeiditon for camping and I pulled a 25 foot Coleman Popup. My husband and I have 6 kids amd felt the popup was the better way to go than an upright big camper. Saves on gas. I get about 20 mpg pulling my camper (4000 lbs) on the highway with all seats filled and the icechest full of beer, and oh yeah, food, HA. I do have the towing package installed on my Ford which has the transmission cooler, also. Love it love it love it.