Aux fuel tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nate2020KR

Reaction score
Is yours 2wd or 4wd. You might could see if the Max tank could be shoe horned in there. The transfer case might interfere though. Also an F150 tank could be an option. I do think the added weight could be a little counter reactivate but not too much. I would try calling Titan and S&B both and having a serious conversation about it with them. It might be worth a shot.

joethefordguy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i move the spare on my 04 Expy 4x4, i can put a 42 gallon tank in that spot. there are several suppliers, including custom fabricators, on the internet. the toughest part would be the plumbing, since I don't want two fill points, and I don't want to have to switch back and forth.

from my post in the Aux Fuel Tank Discussion in 'After Market Add-Ons' started by kwyorman, Jul 13, 2015: "FWIW, I've calculated the space where the spare goes in my 2nd gen expy can easily hold a 42 gallon tank, with associated plumbing, etc.

since my spare is 32.8 inches tall, I assumed a tank 33" square and 9" deep: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+many+gallons+in+9,801+cubic+inches?&t=opera&ia=answer"

Last edited:

Calidad

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow 8-9mpg? The trailer must be a tall box with the aerodynamics of a apartment building. And / or your going for a new FL cannonball run record for toy haulers.
Any easy way to tweak the trailer or low hanging fruit on the Expedition like massive roof racks or mud terrain tires? All of those things add up on the fuel bill.

My top favorite was my buddies open trailer with giant expanded metal tip up ramp. His mileage was horrendous. I suggested he try popping that giant WWII bomber break off and use ramps. He saw a 7mpg gain on his trip!!! The bomber break went to the scrap yard

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If i move the spare on my 04 Expy 4x4, i can put a 42 gallon tank in that spot. there are several suppliers, including custom fabricators, on the internet. the toughest part would be the plumbing, since I don't want two fill points, and I don't want to have to switch back and forth.

from my post in the Aux Fuel Tank Discussion in 'After Market Add-Ons' started by kwyorman, Jul 13, 2015: "FWIW, I've calculated the space where the spare goes in my 2nd gen expy can easily hold a 42 gallon tank, with associated plumbing, etc.

since my spare is 32.8 inches tall, I assumed a tank 33" square and 9" deep: https://duckduckgo.com/?q=how+many+gallons+in+9,801+cubic+inches?&t=opera&ia=answer"

Please don't get rear ended!

Scott Hunter

Reaction score
Its my understanding that add on gas tanks can only be done in the bed of trucks. diesel is a different matter. I would love an additional gas tank!

aeorn

Reaction score

Hey @joethefordguy I have an 03 and could use the extra gas for desert trips. Did you ever find a supplier/fabricator?

texevora

Reaction score
I get 6-7mpg towing a 20' enclosed weighing about 5600 lbs (4000lb trailer + 1600lb cargo). Trailer height is 10' from ground to top of the AC unit on top of the trailer.

And yes, I am having to stop every other hour to refuel. You can literally watch the fuel level tick down while driving.

Defyant

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I want a second tank for increased range also. Bad thing is, i suspect the rear spare is an integral part of the rear impact collision system. A larger tank situated where the OEM tank is would be a better option.