Bad News Bears

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I need some help here to find out my problem, but I have a very bad feeling its not going to be an easy fix. The last few months, when I put my truck in reverse, it has made a small clunk sound, not very loud, but kind of like when the U-joints are going bad, but it doesn't make the sound when put in drive. That being said, I went off roading with some friends the other day, and I got stuck in a pretty decent size snow bank, but with some digging and some rocking back and forth, I was eventually able to make it out. After we were done we drove back into town and the truck drove perfectly all the way up to 90 mph. When we got back to town, we stopped to grab some food and all backed up into our parking spots. When I put it in reverse, it made a clunk that was louder than usual. When I gave it some throttle in reverse, the rear wheels vibrated like crazy and the whole truck shook. I had a buddy watch me as I backed up a few times. When I backed up, he said the rear wheels shook really bad, and when I backed up in four wheel drive, all 4 wheels shook bad. This has me thinking it has something to do with my reverse gear. It still drives and shifts perfectly in drive with no clunk when put into drive. Does this sound like it could be a transmission related problem? I am going to stop by Ford tomorrow to see what they think, but other than that, I'm going to let her sit for awhile. Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Zerick

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
shit man! that sucks! i would lube up everything. u joints slip yolks everything. that way you know its not those. then next check the fluid in your transfer case. then if it is your reverse gear ford should let you know. just dont take their word for it at 1st go. come back. tell us what they said then well have more info. o and i bet this is going on the other forum too. ill copy it. haha

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's what I'm planning on doing, I was a little upset, so I just parked her for the day, and probably won't be doing anything until I get some money, I will make sure to reply what Ford says, and I'll post on the other site when they put up a category for drive train so that its not all over the place.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I also forgot to add that at one time, my overdrive light flashed for a few seconds, but I don't think it did it for about 30 seconds and hasn't since.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
mine flashed for a while, but i was in stop and go traffic and it didnt like that. so after i stopped at my gfs house and parked it and went back to her an hour later she was fine. it shifted like CRAP too! but it could be your tranny. you check the fluid? make sure it doesnt smell like burnt toast or anything?

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine hasn't flashed since, and shifts normally. I didn't get a chance to get to the dealer today, so I went and washed her up and get all the mud off of the driveline, and after, I decided to see what would happen when I increased my speed in reverse, and I found that it shook from 0-5 mph and stopped after I went over 5 mph. When I stopped and went forward, it shook about the same from 0-5 mph. But in normal driving will not do it at all. So, this has me thinking my trans may be fine, which makes me a super happy guy, but maybe it could be U-joints, rear end, or some loose suspension? I've had a clunk in my rear end suspension, so I will find out what is causing that, and if it continues, I might try to inspect my rear end gears this weekend if I get time.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
hmmm. weird. you might wanna check the joints and the tranny fluid. im trying to think what caused my expo to shake like that b4. cause she has.

OP
OP
99 Expy

99 Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It was pretty cold today, so I didn't check anything, but I stopped by Ford, and the guy was pretty sure its my u-joints, and I talked to my dad, and he doesn't think the rear u-joints have been changed in since its been in the family, so either this weekend, or next weekend, I will replace them.