Car and Driver just does not like the Expedition...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Car and driver did its 20 best cars where they choose their favorite car in each segment. Surprise, a gm wasnt their favorite in the fs suv segment, so you'd think it would be the expedition...nope. They chose the Armada over the expedition. I havent seen an armada review from them since 2017, and they havent done a fs suv comparo since 15, and the expy beat out the then new tahoe(the only competitor). I dnt think c&d ever liked the expy, they barely test it and when they do, they bash the brakes off it. Its crazy to see how they even come to their rankings for fs suvs because its the one comparos they never do.

Noitidepxe

Reaction score
Why do you care about what a bunch of moto-journalists think about anything? Cancel your subscription, if you have one, and write them off as the sell outs to their advertisers that they are.

IIGood

Reaction score
C&D has never liked anything domestic and I'm actually a little surprised that they didn't choose a BMW SUV for their favorite (because it seems they just swoon over Bimmers and just about anything else German-produced).

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Few of these reviews are very accurate. Bunch of yuppie or otherwise niche people who love new and high tech.
They don't even consider designs that are very likely to cause issues or fail or be high maintenance in the future.
They act like every one delivered is perfect and they will all operate exactly as intended for the life of vehicle.

Lee Hartwig

Reaction score
If it isn't a BMW or a Honda they look down their nose at the vehicle. Subscribed since mid 60's finally quit a while ago, just couldn't stand their snarky reviews anymore.

hwystr1

Reaction score
Well...….hwystr1 just does not like Car and Driver. Besides, doesn't it say CAR?

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well...….hwystr1 just does not like Car and Driver. Besides, doesn't it say CAR?

My 2015 Ford Expedition Limited 4x4 is registered as a passenger car in my state - not as a truck.

I suspect many owners register their Expedition the same way.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Few of these reviews are very accurate. Bunch of yuppie or otherwise niche people who love new and high tech.
They don't even consider designs that are very likely to cause issues or fail or be high maintenance in the future.
They act like every one delivered is perfect and they will all operate exactly as intended for the life of vehicle.

There seeems to be a lot of posts on this forum regarding problems with the 4th generation Expedition; blown shocks, sticking hatch switches, contaminated a/c refrigerant, power folding mirrors not functioning properly, etc.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Are you saying they do or don’t take reliability into account?

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are you saying they do or don’t take reliability into account?
I think the only take short term reliability into account. Maybe the first 2 to 5 years if that long. A lot of people only keep cars that long so it works fine for them but there's no way these Publications can keep track of how things will be when these cars are 10 to 15 years old like a lot of cars on the road.
To get these reliability issues and problem here is you have to research it yourself or occasionally people will gather some numbers and post some things but it's not really mainstream.
I don't think Consumer Reports how much does any reliability reports for anything over a few short years. There is no reason to assume that the cars with the highest reliability for four years will have the same highest reliability between years 13 and 17. Some would infer this but that would be jumping to conclusions based on facts that did not pertain two vehicles of that age.