cb installation

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
nice, very clean, i had wanted to do that but couldnt, the connex radio is as wide as the console, makes it rough

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, mine just happened to fit perfectly. now if i could just get that damn antenna to match! my swr is through the roof!!!! gonna buy new antenna and coax, see if that helps.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
wow people still use CBs... lol thought they died with Burt Renolds and Smokey and the Bandit.... Just kidding...lol

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah, we still use em. hahahahha. i use mine for long road trips or when im offroading with a group of people. so much easier than trying to hold a cell phone or losing reception in the mtns!!!!

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, my texas ranger won't fit there either, otherwise that looks sweet.

yes, people still use CB's, ok, well maybe just us.

what is your setup? Antenna? Could be alot of reasons for your SWR's to be high...I hope you are using an external meter not the stocker right?

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just looked at your sig pic up close....if your antenna is grounded to that bar, its probably your problem...unless you have a ground strap on it.

dgray69

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would ground strap it anyway, i run a big connex radio, with a excaliber ant, and heavy gray coax, but that will be changing, im wanting to mount the ant to the rear bumper, with a slip sleeve on it to extend it up over truck

outkast

Full Access Members
Reaction score
a slip sleeve will kill your SWR's, and even with a 102" whip, you still kill your ground plane. As long as your not talking DX and don't mind a 3-4 mile recieve, it will be all good. The best placement on these rigs is dead center on the roof, where you are now. That way, it uses the roof for a ground plane.

I'm pretty sure he mounted that on his factory cargo bar, which has rubber ends and no ground, similer to the setups on KW t-2000's

He needs ground.

I run a Texas Ranger TR-296 (old school) with a 12 watt dead key, swinging around 27 watts. I run RG gold coax 18' hooked to a K-40 mag mount. my SWR's are flat on 1 and 1.3 on 40, and I can recieve 7-10 miles with the squelch on.

When I first installed it, I could barely hear the flying J 1/4 mile from me, so I started researching stuff till I learned. Beleive it or not, everything I learned on channel 19 trucking about CB's was wrong. LOL

Last edited:
OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ur right. i did run it through the roof rack, which i thought would serve as a ground but i forgot that the bar itself isnt grounded. that could be one of my main problems. i will run a groundwire through it and try it that way.
as far as the swr meter being used, yes, i am using the internal one on the radio. is that not accurate?