Console for former government 3rd Gens?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So I'm looking for a mid-3rd Gen Expy for a buddy online. I've been looking in Texas for rust-free vehicles. I've found several white ones, some of which have cloth interiors, which also do not have a center console (one even had some homemade, Amish-looking contraption).

This seems to be the only drawback (many of them have low miles) - does anyone have experience with getting center consoles from junkyards or aftermarket for these? Can they just be screwed to the floor with sheet metal screws? Any other ideas?

Frank R

Reaction score
I just did this exact thing. The drawback with using a Gen 3 console is that you need to figure out something to do with hole left after you remove the floor shifter. Another problem is that the used Gen 3 consoles are ridiculously expensive ($300+).

The solution I used was to install a Gen 2 console. It matches up almost perfectly, and took less than an hour total to pull out of a junk vehicle ($12 at local U-Pull It junkyard) and install in my Gen 3 SSV. I simply took the rear mounting bracket from the donor vehicle and bolted it to the floor of my vehicle (had to drill 2 holes - nothing in the way). I then ran 2 long sheet metal screws through the front mounting bracket into the mounting plate in the dash (you need to remove the trim plate below the cup holder). I also spliced the 3 12v outlets in the new console into the existing wiring so now I have a more 12v outlets than I could ever need. I removed the rear seat climate and entertainment controls from the console at the junkyard so I wouldn't get charged for them, then just made a nice plate and screwed that in place to cover the opening. As far as I'm concerned, the install looks good, and makes the vehicle a ton more comfortable and user-friendly.

Good luck!

Steve Hartman

Reaction score
Ok, so mine's a 2007 SSV. Since the SSV and the F-150 spposedly use the same pans, should the F-150's console bolt right in, or am I missing something? I guess I should ask the same question about the front seats. Are they too, swapable?

Frank R

Reaction score
Ok, so mine's a 2007 SSV. Since the SSV and the F-150 spposedly use the same pans, should the F-150's console bolt right in, or am I missing something? I guess I should ask the same question about the front seats. Are they too, swapable?

As I understand it, the consoles are interchangeable, so long as you find a column-shift F150. the junkyard I went to did not have any, so I went with the Gen2 Expy console.

Sorry, but I don't have an answer for you on the seats.

JoeZ

Reaction score
I just did this to my 2008 ssv. I bought a used console from a 2009 that matched my interior from a local yard, $125. It came with both brackets and all of the bolts. The rear bracket was the only one I could use due to a "box" under the mat, but the front of the console bolts to the dashboard, you will have to remove a cover off of the lower center of the dash. The rear bracket mounting holes are already in the floor pan, you just have to find them and remove the plugs.
As for the shifter hole, I found a plastic "tub" at the local thrift store, and glued it to the bottom of the console so now I have another cubby to collect crap. Lol,
i hope this helps. Joe

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Consoles are worth that much?

I got a 3rd gen one I never installed, anyone in southern california need one?

Frank R

Reaction score
Consoles are worth that much?

I got a 3rd gen one I never installed, anyone in southern california need one?

Honestly, I don't think they're worth that much, but that's what they're asking for them.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Who is this 'they' ?

Ebay item 173835019620 is just over $100 shipped.
Ebay item 312528096163 $133 or best offer incl shipping.
Ebay item 183453487598 at $150 shipped might need some cleaning.
Ebay item 173789398342, its $157 shipped to your door.
Ebay item 192662530627 is a little more at $192 shipped.

You get the idea, there are plenty more out there if you search creatively. Could almost start a side business wholesaling these consoles to the 'theys' who get $300 for em.

Personally if I had an SSV with a column shifter, I'd do a Navigator 2nd row console, or an F150 center console w/o flow-thru shifter:

-installed-center-console-need-new-screws-dsc02101.jpg

Frank R

Reaction score
Who is this 'they' ?

Don't know. Don't particularly care. They're just the prices I was seeing.

Regardless, I'm very happy with my $12 solution and just thought I'd put it out there to let folks know it is a viable option.

ldjcdwm

Reaction score
Searching for ideas. I got a 2014 from state surplus, has a column shift. So went to local junk yard and got a 2011 console that had a floor shift. Has anyone found a good drop in storage for this hole? A friend found a grill oil catch that fits but it's only 1" deep, was looking for something deeper. Thanks