Documenting: 2014 5.4l 3 valve early oil pump and tensioners upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

k-bl

Reaction score
I am an engineer by trade, and I like to document and test things. I've always worked on all my cars and have generally done a good job at it. I've found a lot of incomplete stories about upgrades of our beloved 5.4l regarding oil pump and tensioners which caused me to spend a lot of time investigating for myself what I feel is right in my situation. I as well don't like to put off something that will save me much time and money later on. Here is the situation, and thinking behind it:

* I have a 2014 XL 5.4l 3 valve with 75k on it that runs perfectly, and I'd like to keep it that way.
* I don't want to wait till I have a worn out engine to start thinking about what types of upgrades I'd like to do to keep a worn out engine still running.
* Many of the worn out 5.4l's arrive that way because of a single detrimental design flaw... the tensioners (there are more design flaws, but this is the biggest from my viewpoint, feel free to rant if you like). Once the ridiculously & idiotic designed gasket on the tensioners wears out, it causes a series failures that start seemingly very mild (oil starvation), and end up being catastrophic to the overall design (cam bearings ground up, stretched timing chains, chunks of plastic from tensioner guides, clogged oil pump, timing cover ground away till there are holes in it, seized pistons, thrown rods, and overall engine failure).
* Why put off repairing mine? I might as well upgrade the oil pump as well.

So I decided I want to keep my engine from wearing out to begin with. I did a lot of research, and I've seen a lot of videos. Some pointed my to use all original parts, others with cheap knock-offs. What I decided to do:

* My sensors and chains are not stretched far enough yet to affect the performance of the vehicle.
* I will never put a ford tensioner back in place of the existing. Ford wants a $75k+ truck to be disposable at somewhere around 100,000 or 150,000 miles. This is unforgivable and ridiculous. I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. I'm going with Melling ratcheting, BT403 & BT402. If they fail, I will document it, with pictures. We'll learn together. They seem to be the most durable design.
* As for the oil pump, Melling as well, M340HV.
* If I were to find something else wrong, I'll replace it.

I want to get 300,000+ miles out of my expedition, maybe even 400,000. Early maintenance is vital!
So this is the setup and the configuration I went with. I know I was going on this journey when I purchased the truck with around 30,000 miles on it. I accepted it, and now this is the story of me setting the foundation for a long lived truck. Again, we'll see. But as an Engineer, I believe these steps to be the right ones to get me there. I am documenting it to show what goes wrong, so that people don't have incomplete threads about "Oh it broke after 10k miles" with no explanation or pictures of IRON components simply failing. To me that screams a reassembly issue, but I digress.

So I purchase the parts and took a week off of work to get cracking.
Disassembly was not too bad. Hardest thing was the harmonic balancer. I thought mine needed the one with the holes in it, which I rented, but I was wrong, it needed the Chrysler one with the hooks. So a quick trip to the local parts store, and switched it out, though way more pricey.

I marked the timing chain with a paint marker (big mistake, I should have used scratches or a punch). And then I got all the way down to the oil pump. It cannot be stressed enough how difficult the oil pickup tube flange bolts are to get to. Well, the one to the most right (passenger) side of the car is "easy" compared to the sinister 2nd. You'll be questioning why you are doing this yourself, likely be uncomfortable, probably in a lot of pain, hands contorting near the point of dislocation, perhaps even seeing visions from the amount of difficulty you are putting yourself through. It is nearly impossible but not all the way.

I did it! Then I took out the tensioners, and with only 75k, both are blown gaskets but still had working springs. The truck had no noise! Nothing to indicate they were failing, and it still ran well. I'm so very saddened by what is essentially a 10 cent part (the gasket), maybe 25 at tops. Shame on you Ford engineers. You built a very solid engine, and then you designed it to fail silently. I planned for this.

Next I marked the timing chain with a paint marker. Took off the chains, and timing gear, and the timing gear. Then I took off the oil pump, disassembled & primed the new one with oil manually, and started reassembly.

I attached the new oil pump, and tightened the first bolts. Then I erroneously put the timing chains back on, lining everything back up. I confirmed the marks on the chains lined up with gear but it was fairly tight back onto the crank. I had to finesse it on, and I did, without skipping a tooth, but in doing so, the marks wore off on the gear (blimey). So I may have to do a timing job. This is documentation, the good and the bad.

I should have waited on timing chains and gear until I had the pickup tube flange bolts installed. But I didn't. Too, I could have probably remarked the gear, which I just thought of, but I didn't. Aside from being off of work, my excuse is: life doesn't stop, which has occasionally distracted me during this job.

Anyway, I got the first bolt in within 10 minutes. The second?... I'm a large guy, 6' 1", 235lbs. I don't have what I would call thick fingers but in short, I simply couldn't do it. I could get the bolt in the hole, but I couldn't fit the bolt, an 8mm hinged gear ratchet, and a make-shift tool to apply pressure to the ratchet and bolt. I called a friend to help, and after we worked together and finally got it tightened, we both arrived at it was the hardest bolt we ever worked on. That says something.

If you don't see visions prior to messing around with the oil pump during disassembly. Assembly will provide you with a whole new medium of possibilities. Next time (if that ever were to happen) I may try dropping the oil pan.

Anyway I cleaned up the timing cover, and that brings us to now. Tomorrow I start on reassembly the rest of the way. Documentation.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nice write up. In my experience I have found 2 types of 5.4 owners. One type will immediately address anything the motor needs. They usually have good results.
The other kind will keep driving through the tapping until the oil pressure light comes on, and when it won't run at all they throw a few ebay parts on it and call the motor junk. They don't clean the shavings and debris out of the oilpan after a failure. They leave vice grip marks on the camshafts. They reuse TTY fasteners. They don't inspect roller followers. They don't take oil pressure readings (if you thought the pickup bolt was fun, play around behind the oil filter on a 4x4 for a while).
I think a lot of the bad press on this motor is valid, but some of it is a reflection of maintenance practices.
With your skill set you may be interested in a concept I'm thinking about. Since the Melling HV pump can deliver more oil than stock, I'm thinking about putting a T in the oil pressure port and feeding some extra volume directly to the head galleries. Something like a -3 AN fitting and braided line. Still a lot of research to do on this, and it won't do much if tensioners dump the pressure. The goal of this is to provide better oiling to the heads to prolong the life of the cam caps and rollers.

OP
OP
k-bl

k-bl

Reaction score
Thank you @bodabdan. The one thing: I did reuse the crank bolt, but I will replace it when I open it back up to maintenance the heads (roller followers, chains, etc).

Ok yesterday I took my time, I started cleaning up the timing timing cover where RTV had been. I cleaned up the gaskets they looked very good. I reassembled everything and forgot how hard the power steering pump is to get back on. I made it though. I applied RTV at the places on cover where I had removed it. I got it all back together and then I started second guessing myself...

"What if I forgot the gasket on the oil pickup tube?" And, "What if the timing is so far off that I the pistons collide with valves?"

This is the usual panic I deal with when trying to be maticulous as possible but at the end of a job. So after keeping calm, I reasoned I can double check the piston by rotating the crank shaft manually. I did that and nothing prevented me from rotation.

The next was verifying if the gasket was in place. I knew I needed to check PSI with a guage and not the instrument cluster. I went and picked one up at harbor freight. After that it was 4pm and I was done for the day. Coming back fresh on a Friday would do me good.

Friday morning I got up and after breakfast I called Melling. I levelled with the tech and told him I'm fairly certain I took the gasket off, looked at, inspected that is was still good, and decided to reuse it and put it back in place. He verified it is the same as OEM. He said the one sure way is to start the engine and after 20 seconds if I don't have pressure above 20psi, that a teardown and reinstall would be needed.

I got quite nervous but decided it would be fun to do a "father and son" thing since after installing the oil pressure gauge it didn't reach very well to the driver's seat. He read the guage, I told him if it starts going up, say "it is rising" . If we get to 20psi+ then say "we're safe" .

I remembered I had the crank shaft sensor still disconnected and even though the tech said to just start it, I tried twice without it attached... No pressure. Not even a twitch.

Then the moment came to start it up. I attached the crank shaft sensor, washed up. I then set a stop watch, and did a countdown for on three. One, two, three, with one crank it started, it immediately ran like a top, and inside I slightly cheered thinking the timing isn't off. One, second lasses.... two seconds pass... three... I didn't hear anything from him. I look at my son in dread. He was locked onto that guage and yells: "we're safe!!!"

"it's between 70 and 80" he says.

Waahoo!!!

I looked to verify. 75PSI indeed!

After letting it idle for a few minutes I called the teck at melling just to say thank you, mentioning the 75psi at startup, and he paused: "That is.... pretty high, there could be something else wrong..." My heart sank, then he continued: " oh that's at startup? Yea that's normal. If you forgot that gasket you wouldn't be getting anything near that, for sure."

Cheers all around!

I then installed the air filter (K&N) and let it heat up to operating temperature. The pressure did fall to 39psi fully warm and at idle with it climbing when I put it in gear and giving it some gas.

The picture is just after idling for about a minute.

Now the test begins...

How many miles will I get from these Melling ratcheting chain tensioners? I plan on doing chains and maintenancing the heads around 120k, but if you have a better suggestion, feedback is always welcomed.

We'll see what comes up and hopefully this has been helpful and if not entertaining.

Attachments

• 5c63d68094034a474cf9b9979ba267b0117f833f-14.jpg
    5c63d68094034a474cf9b9979ba267b0117f833f-14.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 11
OP
OP
k-bl

k-bl

Reaction score
I forgot to mention @bodabdan, I think the idea about feeding oil is legit. I saw a newer designed motor recently on YouTube that had a design similar to what you mentioned. There were oil sprayers on each area of contact just above the cams. I had never seen it before and thought immediately it was pure genius.

Is that what you mean? That wear area could be a hard thing to measure because of how little those components wear over time (perhaps measuring 20k or 40k miles?). I encourage you to build a prototype. You could even market a kit. I bet you'd make great money, especially if a company were to work with you on it. Or you could have the first million mile 5.4l.

OP
OP
k-bl

k-bl

Reaction score
It's called an "oil spray bar". I guess it comes on BMWs and apparently a Ford Pinto. I would never have thought I'd say I'm jealous of a Pinto.

bodabdan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The oil spray bar is a little different from what I'm thinking about, but cool. It seems like a piston squirter setup could be hijacked for that in lieu of the spray bar?
On the rear of the heads, there are what looks like npt pipe plugs that I suspect are the head oil galleries. I would pull the npt plugs and feed the secondary oil line from the filter housing to those galleries. The idea would be to improve flow to the top end without taking oil pressure or volume from the bottom end.

OP
OP
k-bl

k-bl

Reaction score
First road trip. 90 Miles on interstate, getting 1.5 to 2mpg (from 17.1mpg to nearly 19mpg) better than previous. But we're fully packed with 4 people and tons of gear. Still running like a top. I have done about 50 miles of city driving as well and Big Red has a much more responsive lower end.

75Flh

Reaction score
Nice write up,

I'm not a fan of the K&N filter...in my desert climate....