Does elsd show when it engages?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wondering as this week was first time it would’ve come into play. Rented a farm house with a steep driveway. Half way up you could see where lots of cars had spun some. Truck never flinched, but I could tell either it dropped a gear or the elsd came on. Nothing showed on dash or anyplace I could see. Kept forgetting to watch for a gear change When we came home. Think it might have already been in 1st gear at that low speed. Just a definite change of something and it motored right on up.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It shows when you manually engage it. I wonder if the off-road screen would show it slipping.
7740768e5c80a4bb4c52a884e2be6b6b.jpg
ee590f125e3945fd1ecbce978b4e27b5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the off-road image may change from crosshatched to solid when it engages. I’m unsure though because I don’t have a good spot to test it. When I was in Kansas a couple of months ago, I specifically took it through a little mud just to test it out. Both rear wheels were spinning.

Fozzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If everything is spinning it’s the candy cane that looks like it’s spinning. When it’s solid blue it’s not moving. I doubt Ford took the time to make this more than a gimmick screen. But it would be cool to see if one axle stopped spinning if the line would go solid blue for a second. I have no experience with a 2x4. But what I have read about this style of locker it should make it very capable. Do you have the drive modes? They help control what the locker does.

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This doesn’t necessarily show slipping, but it does show distribution.

2056202950bcc2f313a6518c16c19d70.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Drive modes

will have to pull up the off road tab next time I’m in a spot like that and watch what it does.

not sure I have that power distribution screen with the 2wd

OP
OP
D

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If everything is spinning it’s the candy cane that looks like it’s spinning. When it’s solid blue it’s not moving. I doubt Ford took the time to make this more than a gimmick screen. But it would be cool to see if one axle stopped spinning if the line would go solid blue for a second. I have no experience with a 2x4. But what I have read about this style of locker it should make it very capable. Do you have the drive modes? They help control what the locker does.

it’s really the trick to owning a 2wd anything. I won’t own one without it. The one 4wd I had for a few year had an open rear. I only used 4wd once in the snow, mainly just to see what the fuss was.
Later when the rear had a blown seal, I added a traction loc. Never reached for 4wd again the rest of the time I had it. It just makes the 2wd an easier deal to deal with, but as I tell people, pops built buildings for decades with 2wd trucks and open rear gear so you can do a lot more than most let on.

carymccarr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
it’s really the trick to owning a 2wd anything. I won’t own one without it. The one 4wd I had for a few year had an open rear. I only used 4wd once in the snow, mainly just to see what the fuss was.
Later when the rear had a blown seal, I added a traction loc. Never reached for 4wd again the rest of the time I had it. It just makes the 2wd an easier deal to deal with, but as I tell people, pops built buildings for decades with 2wd trucks and open rear gear so you can do a lot more than most let on.

You live north of the mason dixon?