Driver's side seat swap with Passenger??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can the bottoms of seats be swapped out? My 98 Eddie Bauer has a worn broke down seat bottom. You cannot find a decent used one anywhere, I can find perfect passenger ones. Can they interchange? The seats are not heated just leather.

If they can be changed over, who wants to sell me one?? Tan leather by the way.

lakesidebluexpy

Reaction score
jeff-

do remember that '97/'98 seats are the same....seat design changed slightly for '99 and newer. arm rests, and console design changed.

time for katzkin covers??? or if the seat foam/frame is broken down, a local upholstery person should be able to get you back in business.

lakeside

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The only thing I can think that might be different on the bottom cover is that some vehicles have a carpeted side panel where the seat slides against the console so the leather/vinyl does not wear. If you swap sides, then the carpet would be exposed on the outside of the seat. If yours does not have that, then I would assume the covers may be interchangeable (assuming you remove the cushion from the base).

lakmflx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is something ive been wondering myself. I have the same wear on the drivers seat from getting in and out of the truck. If anyone has taken the truck to an upholestry shop to get the seat re done what was the cost? Im just basically trying to get an idea if its worth it or just opt for seat covers and call it a day.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From some pics on that ebay link, I don't think the covers will swap. It looks as if the seat has a slightly asymmetrical bottom cushion, and there is a loop for the seat belt receiver to pass through. Now that I think about it some more, the clips for the cover will probably be in the wrong locations also.

aircargoo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if u take chair off track....mybe swap the fabrick part....chair separates from metal base........think u can doit.....

i took off 2 seats weeks ago cause my seat track sticks....took totally apart....separate chair from metal base....

think its poss. if theres no arm rest...

cheapdad00

Reaction score
Can the bottoms of seats be swapped out? My 98 Eddie Bauer has a worn broke down seat bottom. You cannot find a decent used one anywhere, I can find perfect passenger ones. Can they interchange? The seats are not heated just leather.

If they can be changed over, who wants to sell me one?? Tan leather by the way.

Did you ever sort this out? I might want to do the same thing with my worn out 2005 leather seat cushions.

OP
OP
J

jeff1998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
No I have not. I have not really had time or motivation to do it. It is so cold in IL right now I do not want to be outside. I will take it apart this spring and se what I can do. I did find that the armrest covers can be swapped allowing the worn out upper part of the driver's to go on the bottom of the passenger side and vise versa. They look brand new if you do not flip them up.