Ecoboost Spark Plug Change Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expediton Limited 4x4 with the 3.5 Ecoboost V6, purchased new and now with 45,*** miles. I planned to change the original plugs today using Motorcraft plugs #SP-534 and Motorcraft coil boots #WR-6135.

I am unable to remove the plastic connector at the coil. I am able to pull back the bright red tab, but cannot figure out how to release the connector from the coil without breaking it.

Can anyone provide more guidance? Thank you.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It has a 100,000 recommended plug change interval, but I like to change maintenance parts well before the recommended internal. It also has a slightly rough idle at start-up, so I wanted to put new plugs in.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should just squeeze by a hand to release the tab once the red locking tab is popped back. The real challenge will come when you try to yank that spark plug boot off the plug be prepared for much cursing. I only got 4 off, 2 of mine seperated the boot from the coil pack so I just popped the packs back on those and will change them later.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That's pretty much why we suggest new boots with any plug change. That and use dielectric grease, so the boots don't weld themselves to the plug.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It should just squeeze by a hand to release the tab once the red locking tab is popped back. The real challenge will come when you try to yank that spark plug boot off the plug be prepared for much cursing. I only got 4 off, 2 of mine seperated the boot from the coil pack so I just popped the packs back on those and will change them later.

Thank you.

The connectors seem somewhat brittle after only three years.

When you removed the one bolt that holds the coil and the wiring connector, did you then pull the coil straight off with no twisting?

This is the first time changing plugs on this engine. I had a 1998 Dodge Intrepid with the 3.2 V-6 that had a similar setup - however, the boot was long and fastened to the coil. It made changing spark plugs simple and easy.

coolzzy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You have to pull but they won't really twist because of their shape and how they seat in the motor. I used a brake drum adjustment tool as a pry bar to get in the tight space and pry up on the body of the coil, they really suction themselves on there.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The tool to pull door panel plastic buttons off might also work well.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Michael McC

Reaction score
Push the connector in while you slide the red tab back. I think that step is required because the latch mechanism is like the latch on a sliding window--it is at an acute angle (less than 90 degrees) rather than 90 degrees.

OP
OP

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Push the connector in while you slide the red tab back. I think that step is required because the latch mechanism is like the latch on a sliding window--it is at an acute angle (less than 90 degrees) rather than 90 degrees.

Thank you.