Egr, dpfe, p1401, p0401

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hello,

New here because I saw that the expeditionforum was not that active anymore.

Finally after severall weeks of standing still my expy is driving again ( had a PATS problem and fixed that ).
Did a cleaning on the MAF sensor and truck was going great, better then before.
Now mpg has dropped and rough idle and stumbling while accelerating, drives like shit.
OBD software tells me P1401, DPFE. I checked the sensor, one port was clogged and corroded, I cleaned that, install new hoses because inside one part of the hose was vaporized.
After that no success.

While idling I removed the DPFE sensor, no change.
I removed the hoses, no change.
I removed the complete sensor, no change.
My guess would be the DPFE cause there was no change when removed.

Before this faultcode I also had P0401, no 1401 and after resetting ECU only the P1401.

I checked the throttle body, its black and greasy, could not see the 2 holes coming from the EGR.

Anyone a good idea??
( by the way, new spark plugs, COP's, PCV, fuel filter )
greetz

Alex

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
change the elbow in the back, and the valve its too. i forgot! damn memory loss. haha someone will know. then clean your tb. that should help too.

Interceptor

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm working off memory here and going back to my '97 F150 4.6L @ 100K. I had Insufficient EGR flow codes (Don't remember the #), and my problem turned out to be the EGR port on the back of the throttle body being plugged.

The best way I have found to check this w/o pulling the throttle body off, is to get one of those mirrors on a stick (preferably the kind that have a button on the end to tilt them). Stick it in the mouth of the throttle body and try to look down the back throat of the TB. The port is forged into the TB.
I guess if you could find the hose which attaches to it, you could try and blow through it, and see if there is flow.

Either way, in my case I had to pull the throttle body and clean out the port. I used throttle body cleaner and a brush which I normally used for cleaning the bore of my 22 caliber rifle. Once I got it back together, the insufficient EGR flow problem went away.

I can't say this is your problem, as I don't know your engine or year/model - either way check out the attached picture which is a representation of what I found.

Attachments

• Code P0401 Insufficient EGR flow.jpg
    Code P0401 Insufficient EGR flow.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 1,791
OP
OP
A

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 5.4L EB from 1998.

I checked with a wire if the EGR port was open, infact I checked them all with a steel wire and at the 5.4 there is one big hole. What I can see on the picture of the 4.6 there are 2 holes.

The elbow on the back of the TB was very narrow by the vacuum of the TB. when the engine was cold, rubber hard it had a nice idle, but with a warm engine, rubber soft the engine was doing rough idle. I assembled something around the elbow so it won't be able to get sucked together but no success.
Tomorrow I will doe some DPFE testing with the fluke.

Sorry if my american/english is someway different, I'm dutch stationed for a couple of years at the navalbase at Curacao.

Alex

OP
OP
A

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Back again,

Did some experiments this afternoon.
- removed the elbow and put my finger on it, no good idling.
- removed the connector of the EVR, no change
- removed the DPFE connector, no change.
- Removed the IAC and idle went up for a few sec.
- Did a measurement on the DPFE, GR an REF where 4.6volts and GR and signal 4.6 volts both on a cold and hot engine. The workshop manual says 0.2-0.7 volts on a cold engine no EGR.
- the resistant of the EVR was 195 Ohms instead of the 30-70 the manual says.

I also had P0113, a IAT sensor 1 high circuit and P1131 , O2 sensor?

out of the blue the expy is doing like shit!!

any suggestions?

Could it be that the EVR and EGR are quiting at the same time or is it caused by something else?
Why isn't the engine respondig while EVR and EGR are disconnected...

hoping for some good ideas!!!!!!

Alex

Explor2Exped

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's a 5.4L EB from 1998.

I checked with a wire if the EGR port was open, infact I checked them all with a steel wire and at the 5.4 there is one big hole. What I can see on the picture of the 4.6 there are 2 holes.

The elbow on the back of the TB was very narrow by the vacuum of the TB. when the engine was cold, rubber hard it had a nice idle, but with a warm engine, rubber soft the engine was doing rough idle. I assembled something around the elbow so it won't be able to get sucked together but no success.
Tomorrow I will doe some DPFE testing with the fluke.

Sorry if my american/english is someway different, I'm dutch stationed for a couple of years at the navalbase at Curacao.

Alex

I have the same exact model. For your P0401 code replace the EGR Pressure Sensor, reset the battery & drive about 50 miles. The code should go away. That's how I got rid of it on mine.

OP
OP
A

alexhozee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I replaced the DPFE, ereased with OBD and code is still not there.
Now the engine only hesitates sometimes when accelerating with a warm engine. Cold it's doing fine.

I noticed a damaged wire to the cop, repaired that.
My coolant temperature is going up to 98/100 degrees Celsius, OBDII says so.
My meter and CEL are doing nothing.
I'm used to getting coolants up 85 or 90 max degrees celsius.

Could it be that the engine is getting to hot it shuts of a cilinder to prevent getting overheated??
Don't now where to look further for the hesitating ond sometimes rough idle when hot.

Got a P1131 by the way, bad O2 in bank 1 # 1, the one that's :biggun: hard to get.
But it's been there for the last 2/3 years, no problems.