Expedition Expedition to Alaska

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AccraBob

Reaction score
This summer we're taking our 2014 Expedition from NJ to Alaska via Alaska Highway to Whitehorse YT, then the Klondike Loop through Dawson City YT and Chicken AK, on to Fairbanks, Denali, Anchorage, and then back on the Alaska Highway to BC37 then Calgary, down to AR, OK, and TX. The truck's in good shape, should around 86,500 mi on it by Minot ND where we'll get regular service a few hundred miles ahead of schedule, and the tires will have less than 20k on them by then. It'll be about time for service again by the time we reach Houston.

We will probably have a Thule motion XT XL cargo box on it. Other than jumper cables, tool and emergency kit with flares, tire pump, rechargeable battery starter, flashlights, I can't think of anything else related to the vehicle we should be thinking about, at least based on what I've read about the route and road.

Anyone with experience in these areas have any thoughts about what the truck might need brought along or some sort of prep other than the usual regular Ford dealer checkups?

Plati

Reaction score
Tire repair plug kit & drill?
Tow Strap
Full brake service (almost new brakes?)
Plugs are due at 100K. I replaced mine at 80K.

Not vehicle related but take Bear Spray.
Don't think you can take guns into Canada.

Passport or Enhanced drivers license (embossed birth certificates?)
Gorilla Tape, Water, Medical Kit, Emergency TP, SPOT?

I want to do almost the same thing.
My GranMa & GrandPa did it towing a trailer in the early 50's.

OP
OP
AccraBob

AccraBob

Reaction score
All good thoughts... Not sure about tire repair kit but do have a like-new spare. Brake linings were all at 10 mm when checked at 80k miles, and they will check again in ND. If all else is OK, I'll do plugs in Texas after the Alaska leg of the road trip.

What kind of tow strap would you recommend for an Expedition? Loops or hooks? Never thought of this before. As for SPOT, it does seem like cellular coverage is fairly solid along the route but if I were worried I'd put an HF antenna and my ham rig in the truck.

Have no guns, but all of us have passports. Of course, med kit, TP, water on boards along with cooler and food though we are not camping. As for bear spray, perhaps we'll pick some up in Canada - through again, we're not camping or doing much hiking.

This trip is to check the box for my newly-licensed grandson, who wants to hit all 50 states before graduating HS. He'll be a junior in the fall.

I appreciate the ideas!

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
https://www.themilepost.com/highways/alaska-highway/

Make sure you plan your trip very well. The site above will be your best resource.

Extra wipers blades and bulbs for sure. Not a bad idea to have a clear film put on the windshield as there is lots of gravel and chipped cracked windshields are not unlikely. Extra fuel

I would not make the trip without at least one firearm (yes you can take guns to Canada it takes some paperwork and are limited on what you can take). I don’t go anywhere without one.
Bear spray is a good idea if not going the firearm route. You break down, get a flat, or need to spend an extended amount of outside of the vehicle critters could be a problem.

I do have to say I am jealous.
The ALCAN is on my bucket list. My boys are 5, 4, and 1 so it will be awhile before we make the trip.

Please document the trip and share with us!

Adieu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Jumpstarter+tire compressor kit and a couple big cans of tire goop are a must-have for any sort of travel.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Second the tire. You say “like new spare”. What does that mean? Is it the factory spare?

Mosquito spray and nets for your head/face.

Gas money. Tow a trailer full of it. Gas ain’t cheap up that way.

Should be an awesome trip. I’ve known a couple people who have done it.

Sgt Darkness

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Should be normal BOB type stuff. I think it’s paved all the way now, so no need for steel plates under tank, driveshaft, trans and oil pan. Used to be a killer drive but the scenery made up for it. I would take five gallons of gas too. Skeeters will be big and hungry.....good luck bud....

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I forgot to add extra belts.
I would actually put new belts on before the trip and dependent upon how the old lol use them as spares.
What will the Age of your battery be and at 85k I would replace the alternator before the trip. Since they are cheap and easy.

Also a small tool kit in case you need to fix anything.

Plati

Reaction score
I forgot to add extra belts.
I would actually put new belts on before the trip and dependent upon how the old lol use them as spares.
What will the Age of your battery be and at 85k I would replace the alternator before the trip. Since they are cheap and easy.

Also a small tool kit in case you need to fix anything.
Second on the battery thought (if its the original). I recently replaced the original battery on my 2014EL with 80K miles. They go suddenly when they go. About 5 years life in many cases now.

And the belt idea isn't too shabby. Having a new belt AND a known good one as a spare.
But take a socket wrench for tensioner if you need to change it.

Don't like the replace alternator idea. I did a preemptive replacement right before a trip in 2015. The new alternator was bad and the old one had been good. I got stuck with the (new) bad alternator on a trip in the wilds of the UP of Michigan.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any parts replacement prior to the trip should be a decent amount of time before to allow some miles to be put on it before the trip.