Fog light question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

john shelman

Reaction score
My 2003 expedition didn't come with factory installed fog lights. But while working under it, I noticed that the harness and plugs for those lights were there on each side, and I found that the assemblies for the lights are easy to find. I know that the headlight switch will also have to be replaced, also easy. But when I pulled that switch from the dash, I could not seem to find the plug that would go into a new switch. I know wiring harnesses usually have plugs for all the optional things, whether they are installed or not. So, if the wiring is there down where the lights would be, shouldn't the wires that would feed them, the ones at the switch end, be there too? I would really like to add these lights.

whtbronco

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My experience matches yours in that most of the options are wired in and by simply swapping a switch and adding the accessory you're in business. Are you sure the wires aren't already in the connector and that your headlight switch simply doesn't have the corresponding connectors for the fog light wires.

Another thing is I have the fog lights on my 2004 and almost never use them. They only add a bit of light close to the vehicle, I don't see any difference down the road. In fact there's so little light if I use them it's so I can turn off my headlights and not bother my neighbors late at night with my headlights shining into their houses.

Here's a screen shot of the switches from Rock Auto, with on the left and without on the right. You can see there are 3 pins not in the image of the switch without fog light support, but it's only 1 connector.
1648083846056.png

If you swap the headlight switch and add the fog lights there's also a relay and maybe a fuse that'll be needed most likely.