Converting Lighting to LEDs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Renaissance Man

Reaction score
Greetings all!
I am planning on converting the lighting for my Gen 1 Expedition from incandescent to LEDs. As a result, I know that I will need to install resistors for each of the turn signal circuits, or face the evils of hyper-flash. A question that I have - shouldn't I just be able to wire a resistor into the turn signal's power lead to provide the needed additional resistance, rather than wiring one end of the resistor to the power leg and the other to the ground leg? It's been a loooong time since I studied electronics in college, and it is possible that I'm missing some important concept, so thought I would ask.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You can replace your stock hazard flasher relay for an LED flasher relay to eliminate the hyperflash. The LED relay will work with either incandescent or LED bulbs. For the headlights I would recommend an HID bulb in the 4300 temperature range, rather than an LED bulb. The beam pattern from LEDs suck a$$ when used in a reflector headlight assembly. Whereas the HID is closer to the halogen beam pattern but stronger. Of course make sure to aim them so that they're not blinding oncoming traffic.

How To Video - Flasher Replacement 2001 Ford

LED EP27 Flasher Relay on Amazon

9007 HID Bulb Kit on Amazon

Last edited: