Ford is buying back my Expedition. What to expect?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gbigpapa

Reaction score
Has anyone here gone through a buyback? What should I expect as a fair negotiation? I purchased my vehicle brand new with a factory rebate and 10% under MSRP. Buying any vehicle now, Ford or otherwise, I’ll be stuck paying full MSRP and won’t be able to get a factory discount t or 0% financing on a new vent. What terms were you able to negotiate? Rental car allowance?

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Has anyone here gone through a buyback? What should I expect as a fair negotiation? I purchased my vehicle brand new with a factory rebate and 10% under MSRP. Buying any vehicle now, Ford or otherwise, I’ll be stuck paying full MSRP and won’t be able to get a factory discount t or 0% financing. What terms were you able to negotiate?
Why a buyback? What's wrong with it?

OP
OP
G

gbigpapa

Reaction score
Lots of issues unfortunately. Body panel fit issues on all four doors, hood, trunk, and gas cap, missing body plugs and sealant in firewall area causing floors to be full of water first time i parked outside in the rain, miss-routed wire harness which burned on exhaust which was recreated by dealer since replacement was not available, major transmission slipping then suddenly banging into gear, rear axle reduced torque messages, door damage on delivery which needed repaint, burning smell when towing, fuel mileage not as expected, and a few other small issues. Primary issue is transmission. Issue occurred intermittently. Dealer was finally able to reproduce problem. It’s been at dealer 7 times in less than a year for over 60 days. Plus it’s been there with transmission issue for an additional 60 days. Parts to repair are not available and with all these issues I don’t think I want to keep it.

Last edited:

LokiWolf

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Lots of issues unfortunately. Body panel fit issues on all four doors, hood, trunk, and gas cap, missing plus and sealant in firewall area causing floors to be full of water driest time i parked outside in the rain, miss routed wire harness which burned on exhaust, major transmission slipping then suddenly banging into gear, rear axle reduced torque messages, door damage on delivery which needed repaint, burning smell when towing, fuel mileage not as expected, and a few other small issues. Primary issue is transmission. Issue occurred intermittently. Dealer was finally able to reproduce problem. It’s been at dealer 7 times in less than a year for over 60 days. Plus it’s been there with transmission issue for an additional 60 days. Parts to repair are not available and with all these issues I don’t think
I want to keep it.
Good call on the buyback. Sounds like it was the last vehicle on a Friday, and the C inspection crew was working. That is a CRAZY amount of issues.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There's a member in the lincoln community who went through the process. He's in blue oval forums as well and wrote about it.

OP
OP
G

gbigpapa

Reaction score
If you happen to come across that post could you share it with me. I’ll try looking for it as well.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score

It's embedded somewhere in the lincoln forum, but this will prolli help.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone here gone through a buyback? What should I expect as a fair negotiation? I purchased my vehicle brand new with a factory rebate and 10% under MSRP. Buying any vehicle now, Ford or otherwise, I’ll be stuck paying full MSRP and won’t be able to get a factory discount t or 0% financing on a new vent. What terms were you able to negotiate? Rental car allowance?

I’ve been through two repurchases with GM, one handled by an attorney and one based on a (required) arbitration that I filed.

How did you initiate and resolve the agreement for the repurchase?

Laws vary by state, but the “lemon law” in your state should specify the process - and what to expect.

In my state, the consumer has the option of a full refund + tax + any dealer installed options, or a new replacement vehicle. The law also allows for reasonable attorney fees, paid by the manufacturer.

Some states permit a deduction for mileage - some don’t.

You should quickly research your state “lemon law” and determine if you can ask for a new vehicle.

If you live in the state of Washington, here is some general information: https://www.atg.wa.gov/general-lemon-law

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I went through the process with a different vehicle but ended up selling it to Carvana for a small profit.

The biggest factors are the laws in the state it was purchased and where you live, if different. I live in MS (horrible lemon laws) but purchased the car in NY (excellent lemon laws.)

This is a good resource: https://www.autosafety.org/state-lemon-law-rankings/

spiderman865

Reaction score
When I negotiated a buy back with Ford, I went with replacement of collateral option. In the late spring of 2020, I found an identical 2020 to replace my 2019 and all I had to pay was the difference in MSRP which at the time was about $650.00. This was to include plate transfer as well. Dealer made a mistake and they picked up plate transfer and only cost me about $475 give or take. I kept my same loan terms (0%) and the payments were the same and length of loan has not changed. For me, it was the best option because I got a 2020 for the price I paid for a 2019 which I bought Nov. '19. Bottom line, stay persistent with Ford and if you have a good salesperson at the dealer, like I had, have them work with you.