Fuel Gauge and Fuel Capacity - 2000 EB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aeorn

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Diagnosis question for a 2000 EB 4x4 Air Suspension, 240K miles, Second Owner.

The truck runs out of gas when the gauge reads 1/4 (dies in the road dead). It's not a big problem, I just hit up the gas station accordingly. It usually takes around 18-19 gallons with topping off. I finally looked into it because the range is disappointing and found out she should have a 30 gallon capacity.

I'm thinking the gauge and capacity problem are related. Maybe an issue with sender/pump/pressure regulator? A brick in the tank? I'm not sure how to diagnose other than pull out the fuel tank and poke around.

Any clues or help diagnosing would be huge! Maybe someone has had this problem before?

Thanks!

docraymund

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For a definite answer, you should remove and inspect the fuel tank and pump assembly to avoid guessing and speculation.

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Tank dropped. Definitely 30 gallon. Gauge said just about 1/4 tank, but it feels like it's half full. Need to buy gas cans and empty it. Then I'll pull the pump. Hoses are crumbling so replacing those. Looks like there is a little bit of dampness around the base of the filler.

Last edited:

lakeride

Reaction score
Had the same problem on my 99 EB. Dropped the tank and the filter on the bottom of the pump was hard as a rock. I went ahead and changed the fuel pump while I was in there. Installed new filter on the pump and it works great now.

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Interesting! Maybe I don't need to replace the whole assembly (Just the pump and filter)?

I drained about 12.5 gallons from the tank. The filter on the end of the pump assembly tore while pulling it out. The plastic piece in there is super stiff but the paper is fragile and stained yellow. That's as far as I got last night.

lakeride

Reaction score
Sounds like your gauge is working. Just replace the pump and filter. Worked for me. Mine would starve for gas when it got down to half a tank. Will be doing the same thing on my 2001 navigator in a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
Problem solved. Someone installed a pump for the 24 gallon tank! The new one is 2" longer.

You called it Tom. Thanks all

OP
OP
aeorn

aeorn

Reaction score
IMG_20170801_175348.jpg
Here's a photo. Finally sat down and figured out an easy way to host photos anonymously (I think). If you guys can somehow find out my google username, then I failed. This was shared via google drive.

view