GEAR RATIO (?)

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
2004 XLS (Flintstone options) 4.9 eng.

Have read with interest about various gear ratios and mileage.
Window sticker does not note gear ratio.
Besides counting gear teeth, where might I find my gear ratio?

Have a towing package III (never tow anything). Does the towing
package provide a gear ratio clue?

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the axle code on your door jamb sticker ? An H6 code is a posi-trac 3.73 gear set, which is very common.

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What is the axle code on your door jamb sticker ? An H6 code is a posi-trac 3.73 gear set, which is very common.

Thanks for the informative reply. Went out to look for the sticker, and found it located on the bottom rail. Being crippled, I was not able to bend over
enough to read it, so I will have to wait for help.

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of it ( the door jamb sticker...) with your phone?, that'll make it easy to read from the phone at least.

OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you take a picture of it ( the door jamb sticker...) with your phone?, that'll make it easy to read from the phone at least.

Great suggestion. I'm embarrassed that I didn't think of taking a photo. My son (neighbor) will be home from work soon, so he will be able to read the sticker.

Thank you for your insight.

donl

Reaction score
I recently replaced my 3.73s with a set of 4.10s along with CAI, shorty headers and under drive pulleys. In town mileage has barely changed, used to get 13mpg and change; just under 13mpg and sometimes 13mpg. Not really a measurable drop but a noticeable impact on acceleration. I don't tow anything so I can't comment on towing but I am sure that would be an improvement as well.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Don Hall

Don Hall

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I recently replaced my 3.73s with a set of 4.10s ........ In town mileage has barley changed, used to get 13mpg and change; just under 13mpg and sometimes 13mpg

Thanks for the info, donl. My '04, 4.9 with 3.73 gears never leaves town.... mileage is always around 10+. Gas gauge is faulty, so I use the trip mileage gauge to measure fuel consumption....... using 10 MPG as a division factor into miles driven proves reliable. Annual miles driven is about 1000, so I don't care about mileage.
:happy160: