head problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Patrick

Reaction score
got a problem, after having plugs blow a couple of times on my 2000 expy 5.4. it has finally stripped one of them. and now i have got to finally fix it RIGHT. i have a chance to buy a 5.4 out of a 2004 expy and was wondering if the heads are the same.
it is my understanding that the 2004 may of had two different styles of 5.4 put in them, one for the early part of the year and one for the later part of the year??

if the 2004 heads won't work, what years am i safe to go with and not have the spark plug problem???

or does someone here have a set of heads for sale that would fit the 2000 5.4 expy??

patrick.

OP
OP
P

Patrick

Reaction score
just to add to the above, as i mentioned i have had plugs blow sevaral times, always been able to put back in and they would tighten up okay. i have seen about every plug port blow at one time or another on the this expy. i have just finally ran out of luck on this one?? i think another set of head are in order. to heilly coil every port may be a bit much at this point.

patrick

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
04 is basically the same, should bolt right up but you may need the manifold with the alumium crossover (thats the part that was catchin on fire before it was corrected and made from aluminum) but you know with a little extra money, the navigator 4 valve heads work on this engine too, and i've never heard anything much about stripping threads or plugs blowing out on those. :rolleyes: but that's just me and my crazy ideas. so definatly your cheapest and best bet would be the 04 heads. But 04 f-150 and 05 and up from either F's or Expys don't bolt on with out massive modifications.

Stoned06

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The threads on the 5.4 were updated in 2003 from the 4 thread to the 8 thread heads. I would think the 2003 and 2004 Expy heads would work since they are still a 2 valve head, but 2005 on will not as mentioned above. The 2003 F150 heads would definately work too.
Helicoils are your best bet for a cheap fix, and work pretty well. But if you have had quite a few blow out, your best bet is to replace the heads.

OP
OP
P

Patrick

Reaction score
have any of you put in the heli coil yourselves.

i bought a "HeliCoil" name brand kit that will just retap the hole and put in a threaded adapter. no drilling.... seems simple enough, just the hole is kinda deep and you can't really get good feel on the tap. the kit was $35 talked to a couple guys that have used it and they say you just keep the tap straight in hole and clean debree out when done

OP
OP
P

Patrick

Reaction score
okay, i decided not to tap the hole myself, i was just afraid i end up doing more damage than good.
took it to the local garage and just got it back. the damage was just over a cool grand. (not so cool). talked with the mechanic, he said he has never put 5 heli coils in at one time on the same truck. i would like to think i got a volume discount...as if. this also covers 5 new coils (i had them replace the broken ones due to past plugs coming out) and new plug. i don't think i will mess them for a long while, i hope.

one note of interest to all of you. he did say there is/was a ford bulliten stating that the plug come out because they are not properly "TORQUED" not because of the lack of threads..... not sure about the rest of you, but i have never torqued a plug before. i will be now, he mentioned that the torque speck is 14ft lbs and he torques them to 20ft lbs. still doesn't sound like much, but it must be more than my calibrated elbow thinks it is.

patrick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bluesharktooth26