Heavy towing/load handling rear suspension

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 EL has the standard rear suspension and after wearing out 3 sets of rear coils I've been looking for a heavy duty spring option for pulling my car hauler. Calls all over led me in a few different directions but nobody offers an off-the-shelf heavy duty rear coil for our trucks due to the resulting harsh ride when unloaded.

I contacted Strutmasters as they offer the only EL-specific rear coil conversion I've seen and figured they could offer some insight regarding spring rates. They say their product is as close to stock as possible and that the IRS is the limiting factor when towing. The compromise between loaded/unloaded ride quality is why there aren't any stiffer springs being offered.

Then they offered a clever solution, and I wanted to present it in case anyone else is searching. I'm unaffiliated with the company beyond looking at their website and speaking with their sales department today, but in that conversation I cleared with them publicly presenting this info.

They offered a complete coil-to-airbag solution. It's not automatic load leveling and uses a manual switch to inflate/deflate the bags, but it would provide a good ride both loaded and unloaded to the truck's tow rating.

The wife put the kibosh on on my purchase :( but I wanted to put it out there in case someone else is interested.

I spoke with Darrell at 336-915-2086 and he has all the info.

Don't bother mentioning me or where you got the number from -- I get nothing in return for this. I just wanted to share a possible solution for folks in a similar situation with a bit more truck-modifying-flexibility.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I called strutmasters to replace my Monroe air to coil kit and learned they only make the springs not the strut or even shocks.

In fact they couldn’t tell me whether they would ship me Monroe or Gabriel shocks.

I hung up.

OP
OP
M

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I initially called them specifically about stiffer coils for my truck. The first guy on the phone was straight sales, but passed my call along to a more senior guy that was able to discuss the pros and cons of what I'm looking to do. After our conversation, unprompted, he followed up with engineering and called me back with the air suspension solution.

A lot depends on how you handle yourself. I'm sure if I just hung up on the first guy I spoke with I'd have had the same experience you did.

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I initially called them specifically about stiffer coils for my truck. The first guy on the phone was straight sales, but passed my call along to a more senior guy that was able to discuss the pros and cons of what I'm looking to do. After our conversation, unprompted, he followed up with engineering and called me back with the air suspension solution.

A lot depends on how you handle yourself. I'm sure if I just hung up on the first guy I spoke with I'd have had the same experience you did.

I didn’t hang up ON the guy. I hung up after they ran out of bad answers. The convo was over.

arbetrader

Reaction score
There is a company that makes custom coils for these. I forget the name I'll try to find it, it's alot cheaper than the air option, I think about $350 only for both... And perhaps they can make variable rate springs to get the best of both worlds. They can custom make them based on the load you want to carry.

Edit, here it is:

Coil Springs Specialties
PBX "G"
632 W. Bertrand Avenue
Saint Mary's, KS 66536
785-437-2025

OP
OP
M

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a company that makes custom coils for these. I forget the name I'll try to find it, it's alot cheaper than the air option, I think about $350 only for both... And perhaps they can make variable rate springs to get the best of both worlds. They can custom make them based on the load you want to carry.

Edit, here it is:

Coil Springs Specialties
PBX "G"
632 W. Bertrand Avenue
Saint Mary's, KS 66536
785-437-2025
That's who I ended up using. They make a nice product.

arbetrader

Reaction score
Etrailer sells poly bushings that go inside the springs that changes the spring rate cost $120 bucks and made a huge difference. I I pulled a 30’ 7k# traile all over CA. Still has factory ride when not hauling.

they are called Sumo Springs
https://www.etrailer.com/Vehicle-Suspension/SuperSprings/CSS-1195R.html

Hey which model# did you get from Sumosprings? I need it to fit my 2015 Expy EL (Max) model. I called sumosprings and they told me I had to measure the spring gap, which seemed strange to hear. They don't actually list a rear application for Expeditions. I originally ordered CSS 1094 from amazon, it says it fits 2015 expeditions, but I'm thinking it might just be for the front now (haven't installed yet) but I really want to make sure I get the correct one for the rear suspension. The other option is the CSS 1168 which I have a feeling is the correct one - yet your link shows css 1195... I'm totally confused lol - Which did you get? And did it work correctly?

arbetrader

Reaction score
After a bit more reading it appears the correct number is css-1168. I think I will order those.

Langer

Full Access Members
Reaction score
M
After a bit more reading it appears the correct number is css-1168. I think I will order those.

That’s what I got for my 2017. They fit fine, I used dawn soap to ease the installation, and took the tires off. Wasn’t too bad. I’ve only pulled an empty horse trailer thus far, so can’t confirm how much it reduces squat. I got them because the squat was substantial when I had my boat hooked up to it.