How to Disable Modem on 2023 Expedition

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shakeandbake

Reaction score
I believe disconnecting the wiring to the antenna (shark fin) on the roof will do it. Look up the part# to see the diagram. But you'll lose FM/AM/SAT. Or cover it with RF tape.

Even if you limit privacy in settings, I doubt Ford honors it. They're trying to tap into Tesla's valuation by being a 'services' company. So huge incentives to sell data.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've recently read an article about auto manufacturers collecting data (driving habits?) and selling that data to a third party, which in turn sells it to auto insurance companies. Sounded odd at first, but then received a letter from my insurance company wanting me to update my annual mileage for my 2018 Transit Van (no modem); thought it odd that they only wanted one of my vehicles mileage and not both [the other being a 2019 Expedition Platinum (I'm betting they already know the mileage on the 2019 Exp)]. Now the article is starting to make sense, or at least have a little more creditability. I don't remember consenting to being monitored, and if I did and now change my mind, there should be a way to disable the monitoring. I too would be interested in knowing how to disable the modem.
This isn’t new, depending on where you live if registration or inspections are required at any interval, or even if you bring the vehicle for service and they note the mileage. That is then publicly available (I.e. you can get it yourself from carfax) and insurance companies can use the data to require you to adjust your annual mileage.

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't worry GM told everyone all along that ONSTAR was just for safety. Then years later they announced that they had been selling ALL your data to the insurance companies so they could see all your heavy braking and heavy accelerating times to adjust your ins rates. Ford's doing the same $hit, they just haven't admitted it yet.

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hope you don't have a phone in your pocket because that's doing the same and more...