Maximum size tire for stock suspension?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shadetree

Reaction score
I've got close to 100,000 miles on my Michelin P-265/70 R 16 LTX M/S's and I'm getting ready to replace them. My '97 4X2 EB spends a lot of time OR in the Mojave Desert. These tires have taken a lot of abuse in the sharp rocks and desert heat without a flat...I am going to replace them with the same make of tire, but with a taller, wider, footprint ( if Michelin makes them ) and if the Expy can handle them. Without changing the wheels, what is the largest tire a stock Expy can handle without affecting performance, safety, etc...I searched the archives, but couldn't find my answer...Thanks.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know a 4x4 can fit a 33 but not certain on 2wds... but check out our other site in my sig until we can get both sites joined into one... that site is a lot more active...

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've got close to 100,000 miles on my Michelin P-265/70 R 16 LTX M/S's and I'm getting ready to replace them. My '97 4X2 EB spends a lot of time OR in the Mojave Desert. These tires have taken a lot of abuse in the sharp rocks and desert heat without a flat...I am going to replace them with the same make of tire, but with a taller, wider, footprint ( if Michelin makes them ) and if the Expy can handle them. Without changing the wheels, what is the largest tire a stock Expy can handle without affecting performance, safety, etc...I searched the archives, but couldn't find my answer...Thanks.

Tires lasting 100,000 miles with abuse? I've never heard of a tire lasting that long. The biggest you can go is 275/75/16 on your stock setup. I hope you have the same good luck with your next set of tires.

OP
OP
Shadetree

Shadetree

Reaction score
Tires lasting 100,000 miles with abuse? I've never heard of a tire lasting that long. The biggest you can go is 275/75/16 on your stock setup. I hope you have the same good luck with your next set of tires.

Thanks Smooothride..I'm pretty astounded with the miles myself, and there's actually a few miles left..Tire wear is not what caused me to take a close look at my tires..I was reading an article about mfg. dates on tires and realized how old they are..Your comment caused me to re-check my records...I bought the Michelins on 4-19-02 for $125.00 each from America's Tire Co. in Hesperia, CA. Their warranty shows my Expy had 57,272 miles on it...It now has 154,603 miles...Their recommended tire pressure was 35 front and rear...I never ran more than 30 psi, for a softer ride...and all four tires have worn evenly. Remaining tread today is 1/4 inch. At least 20% of the miles have been on dirt and rocks in the Mojave Desert, without a flat, and I drive faster than most...The same Michelin today is going to cost me $214.00 each (talk about inflation)..The suspension on the Expy is stock with original shocks and ball joints, etc...I'm relaying this info for anyone else who may be looking for a good all around tire (and vehicle)...Also, I found that the largest tire Michelin makes without going to an LT is a P-275/70 R16...I'm going to stick with the 265s...Hope they still make them as good as they used to...
Thanks again....

Even though I drive faster than most...I never drive faster than my guardian angel can fly...