Messy Oil Filter Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rndlmn4

Reaction score
I have a 2015 Expedition that I've done a couple oil changes on, and I have a question about changing the filter without making a mess. The first time, I had the front end elevated and oil from the filter ran over the back of the built in drain channel. The second time I had the vehicle level, and oil still went over the back of the drain channel - not forward and down the spout.

What's the trick to making oil drain down the built in channel? Does the rear end have to be elevated? How high? Thanks for the help.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2003 does the same thing very annoying. What I do is first drain the oil from the pan and reinstall the drain plug. Then use that partially full drain pan and place it at the front of the built in channel and then place a second drain pan under the back of the drain channel. Then proceed to remove the Oil Filter and let just free flow into both pans. Now as I'm filling the engine with fresh new Motor Oil I'm giving the drain channel time to drip out. Then using paper towels I mop up the drain channel of any remaining used oil residue and install the new Oil Filter.
As an added measure I place newspapers and or cardboard (pizza box, etc.) in the area to catch any splatter and or oil runoff.

OP
OP
rndlmn4

rndlmn4

Reaction score
Thanks Ed, for the reply and advice. I always use a big piece of cardboard under a vehicle when changing oil. I've been known to pull on the catch pan and slosh oil out. (Oops!) The worst part of this deal is, the oil runs into the protective sheet metal guard (I'd hardly call it a skid plate) and then it drips from a couple different locations. To make it even worse, you can't really reach in on top of the guard.

Before the Expedition, I had a 2005 Durango. It had a built in channel under the filter that actually worked the way it's supposed to. I may take a mirror and a good light and try to see how the channel fits under the filter on the Ford 3.5. Might have to form a drain guard out of aluminum foil or cardboard to redirect the oil into the drain channel. It's just one of those things.

Ed_Strong

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup that's a good idea about forming you own drain guard...post pictures if you do! I think the existing plastic gutter or drain channel as you call it, shrinks and deforms from the repeated heat and cool cycles from the engine. I didn't answer to your original post question, but I don't jack up the truck! I keep it level, I think that's how the oil change was meant to be done.

Oh and if you think the Oil Filter is messy on you Expedition you should try on a 2nd Generation Ford Windstar... oh boy that one is messy!!! Ive tried making one drain gutter out of a plastic soda bottle, cut in half vertically and wedge in there to try and direct the oil spillage from the filter when being removed, but the space is so limited, it always ends up in a mess on the floor and the vans subframe! worst Ive experienced by far.

I almost forgot to mention... I also stock up on Baby Wipes (Huggies brand are best) to clean and mop up the mess... they're really great at cutting and cleaning oil stains from surfaces and your hands!

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jefes_Shyt