Minor problems after trans fluid change and drain plug kit

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Long story short, I added the drain pplug kit from Dorman to my trans pan when I replaced the fluid and filter, it came with a rubber o-ring. I noticed a wet spot on the driveway and of course it was red fluid, I looked underneath and it was coming from the drain plug I installed. It is coming from the "outer" drain bolt, not the "inner" bolt. I grabbed a wrench and turned the drain bolt to make sure it was tight and it moved about a half turn easily, when in doing so, the rubber washer got crushed and squished off the drain plug. That was yesterday, I checked this morning and there was a a new small spot of the driveway.
So, what kind of washer should I replace the rubber o-ring with? Plastic washer? Teflon tape on plug threads? Both, neither?
44mt46x.jpg

xQKFRh9.jpg

I'm not concerned with needing to drain the fluid or the leaking because I'm certain I overfilled the trans anyway. :facepalm:
This is the cold level. This dipstick drives me nuts because the manual says there is a "hot zone" but there is none marked. Other side of stick doesn't say anything either.
I8GdeNx.jpg

2nd Part of this story
I was researching the trans fluid change for my Expo (2006) at the same time as my F-I-L's 2007. I'm not sure if this will be an issue for the future, but I filled his with Mercon V and not Mercon SP. I also added a bottle of the Motorcraft friction modifier. He did have an issue at 47-50mph that went away after the trans fluid change so I'll call that a small victory.
I bought myself a bottle of the friction modifier also but did not put it in because I planned on draining the fluid again in the next few weeks. Is it okay to add the friction modifier to my trans at my next fluid change? Between researching both vehicles, I'm beyond confused at this point and tracking back what I read seems daunting.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it was me, I'd do a new rubber one made for oil, and a thin bit of teflon tape or teflon paste on threads. Use a clean drain pan, so you can reuse fluid.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1997SCEBFEX

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if you're dropping it again, i'd suggest getting in brazed on the inside, then just the external gasket w/some teflon.
agree w/ Moose on reusing fluid.

johnboneske

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DONT RUN IT OVERFULL!! Having to much trans fluid can ruin it too... its suppose to be between the fill and full marks for a reason.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
DONT RUN IT OVERFULL!! Having to much trans fluid can ruin it too... its suppose to be between the fill and full marks for a reason.
I drained the fluid last night and refilled with only two quarts (I blindly refilled previously with 4qts before checking the level).

I unded up picking up the wrong size washer for the plug so I only wrapped the threads with teflon. Seems to be holding up for now.

What about the 2nd part ofmy question about aded the friction modifier? Is it normal to add a bottle at each refill?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well password, from what I've been reading about your tranny, and why you should only use the sp fluid is like regular mercon, and v their not compatible. Even more so as its a full synthetic oil, and as you know, or hopefully you do, the 2 don't play well together in your tranny! The biggest issue is what non sp does to the shift solenoids. Best bet is buy it at Ford, or at least somewhere that sells Ford brand fluid. And 2nd don't put any friction modifier, that's for your rear differential only. You might want to get that merc v pumped out Asap! Those trannys ain't cheap!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mercon SP is not compatible with your transmission, keep the Mercon V in there it is the only compatible fluid for a 2005-6 Expedition.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Dorman = China = garbage. They can't even make an o-ring that's any good, or thread pot-metal for that matter. Try a flat nylon washer. If it still leaks, either weld the sucker in or get a new pan.

Drain that stuff you put in there or you'll be getting a new tranny.

Then consider a new hobby.

Friction modifier? You're kidding, right?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be getting old. I thought you had a 2007 expedition with the 6 speed automatic. Now after rereading you've got a 2006? That's a whole different animal! If your vehicle is 2006, mercon v is your fluid. What the hell is Fil? My advice was for 2007 and up, not 05-06, different animal. Sorry, you've got to be clear on your posts, so theirs no confusion, and possible wrong recommendation.

OP
OP
Password

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be getting old. I thought you had a 2007 expedition with the 6 speed automatic. Now after rereading you've got a 2006? That's a whole different animal! If your vehicle is 2006, mercon v is your fluid. What the hell is Fil? My advice was for 2007 and up, not 05-06, different animal. Sorry, you've got to be clear on your posts, so theirs no confusion, and possible wrong recommendation.

Yeah, I have a 2006. F-I-L. = father in law. He has the 2007.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris7990