Moving on....

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With mixed feelings, we finally decided to send our 2018 Expedition with 60,000 miles down the road. Lots of things to like about it in terms of space, comfort, power, etc. There were just too many things that we couldn't resolve in terms of long term reliability even with the extended Ford Warranty.

1. Cam Phasers were replaced once at about 30K miles, and they were starting to act up again.
2. Front driveline had a grinding like a bad wheel bearing even after replacing both from hubs. Dealer was unable to diagnose/resolve.
3. Transmission starting acting up where torque convertor wouldn't unlock when coming to a stop and would try to stall the engine before finally releasing.
4. Front suspension clunking unable to be diagnosed by dealer.

Hopefully Ford is able to improve long term reliability on the 4th Gen Expedition.

Hellwig

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With mixed feelings, we finally decided to send our 2018 Expedition with 60,000 miles down the road. Lots of things to like about it in terms of space, comfort, power, etc. There were just too many things that we couldn't resolve in terms of long term reliability even with the extended Ford Warranty.

1. Cam Phasers were replaced once at about 30K miles, and they were starting to act up again.
2. Front driveline had a grinding like a bad wheel bearing even after replacing both from hubs. Dealer was unable to diagnose/resolve.
3. Transmission starting acting up where torque convertor wouldn't unlock when coming to a stop and would try to stall the engine before finally releasing.

Hopefully Ford is able to improve long term reliability on the 4th Gen Expedition.

You may have to switch a dealership or locate a reputable third-party workshop. It seems to me that your dealership tech(s) is(are) incompetent.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Very possible. But similar experience with multiple local Ford dealerships on the Expedition. Have had no issues with our F350. Ford extended warranty also isn't much use at third-party shops.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you sell or trade? Alot of things were fixed from the 2018, but the 5th gen will be released by end of year so I'm sure fords not worried about the 4th gens anymore.

Fasttimes

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you moving on to? I was looking at the Yukon/Denali as an alternative and it looks like they may be even worse based on the reviews I read.

Scottorama

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What are you moving on to? I was looking at the Yukon/Denali as an alternative and it looks like they may be even worse based on the reviews I read.
I went from a 2018 expedition to a suburban, and its a night and day difference. Interior build quality is so much better, drivetrain is so smooth, cant even tell when it shifts. Wish i would have done it years ago.

OP
OP
scottdm

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Really debated another full size SUV, but ultimately purchased a new Toyota Sienna AWD. We have our F350 PSD for towing/hauling, so people moving was the top priority. Couldn't justify the $75K+ price on the full size SUV's and all the Pilot/Grand Highlander/Telluride mid sized SUV's were too small in the 3rd row. We had a 2011 Sienna AWD before our Expedition and after driving all the midsized SUV's, the new Sienna felt like the best choice for our needs.

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that's a pretty substantial change but it should be a reliable ride and if it meets your needs, that's all you can ask for!

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The front suspension clunking is probably from the work done during the wheel bearing work. I've had the same clunking since my driver side was replaced.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Junker