New 2 me 1999 Ex 4x4

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks Guys, the Expi is getting there, and more to come. Tomorrow I get the CAI from Summit Racing delivered and haven been told that the K&N CAI was on back order after almost 2 weeks of waiting, the cheap one I purchased mostly on their dime also got the 2 day Air shipping on them also. So I did not qwack too much with them. The tail lights will be in on Thursday. Next will be the smoked headlights and a Lund sport visor over the windshield.

As for the question about the grille and why I did not take it out to paint. I did not take it out as it did not require it and the over spray on the back ground behind the grille looks better black anyway. And in no time soon, I will be purchasing a black grille to go with the smoked headlights, and a black bumper also for the front and rear. As you can tell, I do not care too much for chrome. Then I may get a roof mount safari rack.

Remo

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before I start de-badging this Ex, does anyone know if the name plates on the fender and tailgate are just double-sided taped on or are they held on with the plastic pins thru the metal and taped? I do not want to take them off if they are going to be holes remaining after I take them off.

Fender and liftgate badges are all held on with double-sided tape, but have several alignment pins/holes. If you remove the badges, you will have holes showing.

Truck looks great! Thanks for all the pics!

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fender and liftgate badges are all held on with double-sided tape, but have several alignment pins/holes. If you remove the badges, you will have holes showing.

Truck looks great! Thanks for all the pics!

Thanks for the info. That is what I was figuring on, the holes being there, which is what I do not want showing. But if I keep this, then I will eventually camouflage this truck. So then I will fill the holes in.

Oh, I am a pic *****. It is a win-win situation for all here.

robuilt

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here are the spacers, I had to trim the original lugs down to prohibit any interference with the rim mounting on the spacer flush, and that was pretty much it.
View attachment 3602

View attachment 3603

quick question on the spacers...

ive heard good and bad things about spacers. ive heard there are a "good kind" and a "bad kind". my buddys mustang went three wheelin when his lugnuts snapped off because of the spacer he had.

are yours the "safer" spacers?

did that make sense? sorry for the poor word choice, lol

OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
quick question on the spacers...

ive heard good and bad things about spacers. ive heard there are a "good kind" and a "bad kind". my buddys mustang went three wheelin when his lugnuts snapped off because of the spacer he had.

are yours the "safer" spacers?

did that make sense? sorry for the poor word choice, lol

Well I do not know if safe or not safe is the right terminology to be used, but is fitting in this inquiry. There are spacers out there to be had that are none lug mounted which means that the spacers are intended to lay over the rotor and then you mount the rim and tighten the rim down sandwiching the spacer in between the rotor and rim. The spacer just described can be unsafe as for each 1/8" spaced is generally increasing the lug threads exposed or unused for the lug nut to grab onto and in turn reducing the strength integrity of the torque value spread equally throughout the lug pattern. In turn could cause undo stress and possible fracture or snapping of the lug itself as the unused portion of the lug then becomes the weak link in the whole scenario. And usually the un-used portion of the lug (due to the spacer utilizing that area of the lug) snaps at that very area.

Now, a spacer that utilizes a lug mounting to secure the spacer to the rotor, and then a extra set of lugs proportioned equally to be utilized to mount the rim and tire becomes one unit per say. As you are mounting the spacer to the rotor securely with the original lugs and lug nuts, then a additional set of lugs to mount the rim to the spacer. That is what I call a single unit with function between one another. That is what I would say in your terms as safer.

Now, on the other hand, there is a spacer as described in paragraph 2 that is safe and then there is one that is not what I would call unsafe, but destructive to your hub bearings, ball joints. A spacer used in moderation as to per say, a 1/2", or 1" or even a 1.25" spacer could be used without fear of undo strain and premature failure of related parts. But in my opinion through experience by myself and others I know, anything over a 1.25" spacer, ie, 1.5-3" spacer could be considered unsafe as it will cause premature failure of the parts just mentioned as you are transferring the vehicle load and load bearing points more outward from the knuckle, and that there can cause several part failures, while driving and could cause harm to vehicle, yourself, and others.

So, in short, as I am out of breath (HAHA) the ones I purchased in this link,
http://www.ebay.com/itm/320727115723?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649,
are to be by me as the safe kind of spacer, because of the small amount of load transfer outward away from the knuckle, and second, the way in which they Mount to the rotor, and then the rim mounts to the spacer becoming one unit in all.

Hope this explaination helps you understand the difference in the types of spacers.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SkyJumper

SkyJumper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is what forums are for, to help one another in our automotive passions.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turro15