New owner questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tbsexp

Reaction score
I just bought a 98 expedition and have a few exp noob questions.

1. When are the puddle lights supposed to come on? On mine they don't come on at all, day or night, headlights on or off.

2. Do the 98's have power vent windows at the rear? There are 2 holes in the overhead console where I'm guessing switches for these should be?

3. Could someone post a pic of what the inside overhead console dome light looks like with the lens cover off? Mine looks like there are sockets missing - I can't tell where the bulbs should go.

4. Is it normal for the rear to sit higher then the front? Mine has a bit of a rake to it. I didn't notice any spacers in the rear either.

I think that's it. Overall the truck is in great shape and I'm looking forward to fixing these small problems. Thanks in advance!

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
1- whenever dome lights come on... I think... dont have them anymore on mine

2- usually rear vent windows were a option...

3- sorry no pics

4 yes... if you do a torsion bar crank you can level it out... and achieve a little "lift"

jrjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Running board lights-
when you open a door
when you unlock with remote

turning on dome with switch inside does not turn them on
There is a quarter turn bulb fixture in each light with a push in bulb (410). Most likely either the bulbs are blown or the fixtures are crapped up. Napa has a fixture that will work fine, I replaced most of mine.

Lane24

technical advisor
Reaction score
Are puddle lights the ones on the running boards? If so like he said... Mine come on if the door is open. They used to come on with the remote, but I've changed remote starters, and now they don't come on when I unlock anymore. Just when I open the door. I'd like to rewire them so they come on with the unlock again... And yes the buttons up top are for the rear vent windows. Great for when your doggy is taking a ride with you!!!! And I've never seen an Expy with a front rake... Most sit higher in the front... Maybe previous owner noticed a sag and put taller or more ridged springs in the back. You can do a torsion twist on the front to compensate.

Last edited: