No start...3 odd symptoms.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Texas Dave

Reaction score
I was out running some errands in my '07 Expedition 5.4L. The vehicle had been running fine. I turned the key to start the engine and while the engine cranked normally the engine would not fire or start. Here is the really odd part of this episode...the key would remain stuck in the start position, cranking the engine, until I physically turned it back to off. Also I noticed the steering wheel will not lock when the key is removed.

To sum it up.
1. Engine cranks but won't fire
2. Key sticks in the crank position
3. Steering wheel will not lock when the key is removed.

I have an almost new battery and coil packs.

Any ideas?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 5.4L 3V automatically cranks until the engine fires, so if it doesn’t fire it keeps cranking until the computer times it out. When you put the key to the crank position the computer takes over, you can let go of the key it’s more like a on/off switch than an old school ignition switch. Any codes stored or CEL previously? You need fuel and spark to get combustion. Try putting the truck in neutral and back into park.

OP
OP
Texas Dave

Texas Dave

Reaction score
The 5.4L 3V automatically cranks until the engine fires, so if it doesn’t fire it keeps cranking until the computer times it out. When you put the key to the crank position the computer takes over, you can let go of the key it’s more like a on/off switch than an old school ignition switch. Any codes stored or CEL previously? You need fuel and spark to get combustion. Try putting the truck in neutral and back into park.

Thanks for the info on the automatic cranking. I put the tranny in neutral and back into park with no change. The only code is the p0430 catalytic insufficiency. The truck was running fine and suddenly it wasn't. I am perplexed by the steering wheel not locking when the key is removed. That has never happened prior to today.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the update, glad she’s fixed. You must have the XLT Sport model, yours looks like my old red XLT but nicer, mine was pretty basic.