Oil Analysis 2017 3.5 EcoBoost 19K miles

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Hi y'all --

Out of curiosity I pulled an oil sample the day before the Ford shop did my "or one year whichever comes first" service including an oil change. Report (below) shows 4% or twice the normal fuel dilution in the motor oil. I only have the shop's word they used 5W-30 full synthetic last year. Not many miles in the past year but not many 5-mile trips either.

Posted for your entertainment and comments. :)

Scan.jpg

-- Chuck

Last edited:

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing! I have a sample sitting here of 10W-30 Magnatec that I need to send off. Fuel dilution is common with these motors. I think they just have to be driven enough to burn it off.

OP
OP
chuck s

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Thanks for the comment.

The truck is scheduled for a 800 mile road trip the next 3 days. Maybe I'll grab another sample Monday morning and send it. Not only check for dilution but to confirm the Ford shop put the right oil in. (I can extract a sample via the dipstick using a little vacuum pump that puts the sample straight into the Blackstone bottle.)

-- Chuck

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is too much fuel dilution. Honda is having a time mow with a turbo engine with fuel dilutions in 4-6% range.

Had a friend give one back to them after a new purchase due to it.

Needs more longer trips but I would go with a castrol full syn or penzoil platinum and try again.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Andy was in a similar boat to you with the low mileage/short trips fuel dilution. The longer trips at operating temp evap the fuel out of oil. Of course something to keep in mind with the use.

mquick5

Full Access Members
Reaction score
What does Blackstone charge for the oil analysis?

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Machete

My Rig. 2000 EB 4x4 5.4L
Reaction score
I don’t believe the dealer put 5-30. 6000 mi and the oil thins that much? No way.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don’t believe the dealer put 5-30. 6000 mi and the oil thins that much? No way.
I doubt most dealers even have 5w30. They put 5w20 in everything.
They don't care about your car. They are dime a dozen to them. Well almost that bad.