Powertrain Malfunction/Reduce power

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99Redcobra

Reaction score
Hi All I have had it happen twice May 25: power train malfunction, no hill decent control, drive mode unavailable. Emergency braking unavailable. Pulled over shut the vehicle off opened and closed the door restarted still there did it again and it cleared. Happened again today! Went thru same procedure and went back to normal. Both times hit a small jarring bump when it happened. 18 Expy Platinum 21k miles. Anyone know the fix? Good thing is it sent me a message both times, one for each fault, to my Ford Pass account so I can show the service writer.

ETC13

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine just got a PCM update from Ford to address this.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Ladywith5

Reaction score
I have a 2018 Limited Max. This issue has happened to me FOUR times already!!! Twice on the highway, one time coming to a stop behind another vehicle, all while hours away from my local dealership. Fourth time I was driving home locally in the evening hours when the dealership was already closed. The dealer had it for a week and couldn’t do anything to fix it because they “couldn’t duplicate the issue”!!!! I bought this vehicle because my large family fits in it and am now scared it will ultimately kill us! I called Ford and they told me to try another dealer, the other dealer told me the same thing the last one did. They can’t change anything because they won’t get paid by Ford if they cannot show something is wrong. We need to start a protest or a lawsuit that will force them to recognize that something is happening to these vehicles. All I want is my car fixed.

Ladywith5

Reaction score
Happened to me again, this time I got two other faults. Finally limped into the Ford dealership and they were able to hook up the computer to it. Two and a half sheets of error codes to wade through, will update once they figure this problem out.

Attachments

• 582E07EC-46AC-455E-AD2E-32C6A43D91B6.png
    582E07EC-46AC-455E-AD2E-32C6A43D91B6.png
    192.5 KB · Views: 11
  • 496EFF8C-B310-46C3-9563-AF5C773B0DE3.png
    496EFF8C-B310-46C3-9563-AF5C773B0DE3.png
    115.9 KB · Views: 11
  • F94E229C-B970-4D9C-8549-9466609C75CF.png
    F94E229C-B970-4D9C-8549-9466609C75CF.png
    102.2 KB · Views: 10

Ronghua

Reaction score
It happened to me last week, 2018 expedition limited, 48k, Powertrain malfunction / reduced power. Have been in dealer's place for one week. Going to check the status next week.

keny01998

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm another victim. My wife was driving near Alabama and the Expedition suddenly lost power and the powertrain malfunction reduced power, pre collision assist not available showed up on the dash. She was able to pull over to a gas station and let it sit for 20 minutes. The message went away from the dash but I got the alerts on my Ford app. We got a similar message 3 months ago but it for the turbo pressure sensor not in range. I brought it to a Ford dealer in Atlanta and they couldn't duplicate it.

Expediton2020

Reaction score
currently going through the same thing with a 2020. Finally got it cleared and running normal again for now atleast. I’m not taking it to the dealership until I find out what others have done to fix it. I read that they done a reflash and someone didn’t have a problem since. I assume it’s the same thing as disconnecting the battery for 30 min with them connected together to reset everything.

Last edited:

Expediton2020

Reaction score
Happened to me again, this time I got two other faults. Finally limped into the Ford dealership and they were able to hook up the computer to it. Two and a half sheets of error codes to wade through, will update once they figure this problem out.
Did you ever figure anything out?

zone

Reaction score
Happened 2-3 weeks after purchasing our 2020, on a long drive to NC. We were 50 miles outside of Montgomery AL, so we limped to the dealership. Kept it for a few hours, problem went away. Said maybe dirty fuel.

A few weeks after that, it happened again as I was rolling into our garage right after a fill up. After reading lots of forums, I concluded that I added gas after the nozzle clicked, so it saturated some sensor. So I didn’t take any action.

A few months later, I got a notification of misfire/power train on the app while at work (my wife was driving at the time). We immediately took it to the local dealership. I also opened a case with Ford. The dealership kept it a month, trying to duplicate the issue. Ultimately, they “threw parts at it” (does sound like Ford and the local mechanics were in regular contact) and replaced the coils and plugs in cylinder 3. A year later, it hasn’t happened again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bledsoejoe