Pulling a little to the left...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When I bought this 2001 a few weeks ago it was pulling to the left, and I immediately noticed bad air pressure levels so aired them up right and saw some improvement. Then I had an allignment done and saw much more improvement, but still just a little pull. A couple of days ago I decided to have the tires rotated, and that cured it... almost... Now that I've driven it a couple more days I can still tell it's just barely pulling left. It's almost not perceiveable, but it's there. I think I'm on the right track, but what's left to do? Should I be buying new tires when I could probably get another 5000 or more miles out of the existing ones? Is it something else that I'm not seeing or that's unique to Expeditions?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
can you post your alignment print out?

if you can that will help.. also try rotating your tires to see if it is a tire problem or not

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This was a small town mom & pop tire store that did the allignment - no printout... They just say, "Yep, it'uz purty much oudaline an' we fixed 'er."

They've got a good reputation though and I trust their work.

As for the rotation, I did that and it made a lot of improvement but there is still just a very slight pull left that I can feel mostly at highway speeds going straight.

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
All the above being considered, do you think it would be worth the money to go somewhere else and get a second allignment?

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i would.. most of the big shops will do an alignment check for free and if nothing needs adjusting you don't pay...

so that is what i would do

it sounds like the caster is set to positive on the left as their should be some to compensate for the crown of the road it sounds like it was set to far

where are you running your air pressure?

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
40 on the front and 45 on the rear. I know it's supposed to be 30 and 35 according to the door sticker but it seems to drive easier with the higher pressure.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
yeah higher pressure is usually better if the tires can handle it.. better fuel milage is plus as well

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you checked your tie-rod ends and ball joints? these could also cause your truck to pull on way or the other...

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
have you checked your tie-rod ends and ball joints? these could also cause your truck to pull on way or the other...

Actually no, but two Ford dealerships gave it a full inspection, which includes those components in their report. The first dealership was the one I bought it from last month and then I had another dealership inspect it days later just to make sure the first one was shooting straight with me. Both gave a glowing report with all green check marks.

I'm leaning toward the tires because if they ran for a long time with a bad allignment, then maybe they're worn in such a way that they themselves will pull once the allignment is straight. Does that make any sense or am I just assuming something that's not likely?

OP
OP
fun2drum

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I bought new tires and had the allignment checked. The tires were actually worn more than I had thought, and the truck was also out of allignment. That was kind of dissappointing since I had already had an allignment done just last month. Anyway, the new tires and allignment cured the problem completely.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oelkersbrian