really, 9.5?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
how the hell is it that i am only getting 9.5 MPG on my expy when people like walnuts are getting 13?! WTF? truck is getting new plugs this weekend, already has new fuel filter, only 1k on current oil/filter. yes, i do drive city/highway but i still shouldnt be in single digits!

NC-Expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't feel bad, mine get's about the same and I'm running less lift and smaller tires than you are.

Even with the cruise control on driving down the long country roads I still can only manage to get 10.5-11.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I got that towing my boat in heavy stop and go traffic with my new combo.:shrug: I got 14mpg last year towing my boat but in far less heavy traffic (stock setup).

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
that is what i do not understand, how does the MPG vary so much between our trucks?! i used to get almost 12 on the highway (last year) with the exact same setup i have now. granted, most of my driving was highway then. but i have not calibrated my speedo so since my MPH is off, wouldnt that in turn make my MPG off as well? and if all of that is off, then isnt my odometer off too?! at the end of october i am driving back to Iowa (29 hrs) so we will see what kind of MPG i get then, but i have to go through.....COLORODO! AHHHHHH....MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAH

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
that is what i do not understand, how does the MPG vary so much between our trucks?! i used to get almost 12 on the highway (last year) with the exact same setup i have now. granted, most of my driving was highway then. but i have not calibrated my speedo so since my MPH is off, wouldnt that in turn make my MPG off as well? and if all of that is off, then isnt my odometer off too?! at the end of october i am driving back to Iowa (29 hrs) so we will see what kind of MPG i get then, but i have to go through.....COLORODO! AHHHHHH....MOUNTAINS!!!!!!!!!!!!! HAHAH

If you never had your speedometer recalibrated for the taller tires your speed, odometer and mpgs will be off by the percentage of the difference in tire size.

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
I dont know what size tires you have but say if they are 10% larger in circumference. This means you are going 10% faster than your speedo reads. You are putting on 10% more miles than the odometer reads and therefore you are getting 10% better gas milage.

fun2drum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know a guy who added a roof rack to his Land Rover and immediately lost a few MPG on the highway from the wind resistance. That was just from an empty roof rack. I wonder of those four lights on your roof might be having the same effect on your MPG.

BTW - I'm already finding that I'm much happier with my Expedition if I keep the little computer thingy set to only display the compass. That gas mileage info is kind of a downer to look at all the time.

KWT2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
i was in the 9's at one point but had to get better.. on the high way im over 14 now and mid 10's around town. the tuner made the most differance and so did getting the speedo corrected so i knew what i was really getting

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
tom, i am running 35" tires (34.7 or something like that). if i am 10% off, wouldnt that make me get 10% WORSE MPG, not better?

fun, i think i may do the same thing! right now i am going through roughly $240/mo in gas!!! wife wants me to trade expy in for new truck. problem is, new truck i want is f250 diesel! hahahha