Rear A/C Evaporator Replacement?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

cuppingmaster

Reaction score
We have a 2021 Expedition XLT MAX and the dealer says the rear A/C evaporator needs replacement. Over our fall vacation, we left the car at the airport and returned to find the A/C blowing hot air. Literally, on the way to the airport the A/C was working fine, and leaving the airport upon our return a couple of weeks later without driving the car, the A/C apparently failed. We knew something was wrong when it didn't cool down immediately.

Dealer quoted almost $3K for replacement of the rear evaporator unit. At the time of the failure, it only had about 80K miles. Seems like one of those parts that ought not to fail so readily, but I'm no mechanic. We have a 2017 Expedition EL at 121K miles that blows ice cold and has never been recharged - I wish we could just transfer the part! Lol.

If anyone has had a similar experience and a less dramatic repair, that would be good. Nearing the summer time, so going to have to fix it one way or another, but man. $3K for cold air.

2020MAX

Reaction score
Had my 2020 max at the dealer for a transmission change. When I got it back AC was not working. Same issue rear evap leak. Price sounds about right I’m glade I have the extended warranty. It has paid for itself twice.

ROBERT BONNER

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Full disclosure: I've never done this job. That being said, I looked it over and I have taken the right rear quarter trim off of my '20 to replace a shoulder strap and retractor (due to an unfortunate dog chewing incident). The evaporator part itself is ~$200. If all that was needed was replacement of the evaporator and a evac and recharge of the system, ~$1,000 would seem fair at $100/hr, I'm not sure what labor rates are in your area.

But, my guess is that the dealer doesn't know whether it's the evaporator, or the refrigerant lines/connections leading to the evaporator. The lines are much more difficult to replace and I've read require body off frame. That's likely what they're charging $3,000 for. I would make sure they are very clear about what parts need to be replaced, why, and how. If the refrigerant lines are being replaced....unfortunately...$3,000 is probably fair. And the real concern is collateral damage due to all of the things that must be done to separate the body from the frame.