Rear Differential Fluid Change

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Nicely done!
Did you just fill them up to the fill plug? Or is there a preset amount they are supposed to take?

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They always fill to the plug and the plugs are always easy to get out because they have a tapered thread on them. Not all have magnets. I wish Ford was more thoughtful with their transmissions.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
They always fill to the plug and the plugs are always easy to get out because they have a tapered thread on them. Not all have magnets. I wish Ford was more thoughtful with their transmissions.
Agreed. I did a transmission fluid replacement and filter change a few months ago and it would have been a lot easier and cleaner with a drain plug and conventional dipstick.

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I filled it up to the plug which ended up being the same capacity as the manual said.

Sorry one more question: Do u recall the capacities? A manual didn’t come with my used Expy. Just want to make sure I buy the right amount and right stuff.

OP
OP
H

Hoos95

Reaction score
Sorry one more question: Do u recall the capacities? A manual didn’t come with my used Expy. Just want to make sure I buy the right amount and right stuff.

It’s around 2 quarts, I purchased 3 just incase. Also if you Google a manual for your year expedition, there should be a PDF you can download.

71Rcode

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Guys, I dropped the pan on my 6R80 transmission and replaced the filter and bulkhead connector. It took 7 quarts warm in all to read between the hash marks on the stick while running. I was able to pump in 4.5 quarts cold before the fluid started running out the fill hole and then ran the truck (parking brake on) through all gears (10 seconds each) for a couple minutes. I was able to get in another 1.5 quarts. I then drove the truck, getting to full operating temp, and then pulled the stick... down 1 last quart. Word of advice is to wear thick long sleeves and tape your sleeve to your glove. You don't want your wrist/hand touching the exhaust. All fluid are replaced...time for a Bud Lite.

And yes, Mr. Makuloco is a genius and much appreciated.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The manual said 4.5 pints (when dry) so it takes 2 quarts of 75-140 synthetic. Funny but my manual said to never check the diff oil level unless you see a leak and never ever change it. They have that much faith in their synthetic oil.

Last edited:

rollinstone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The manual said 4.5 pints (when dry) so it takes 2 quarts of 75-140 synthetic. Funny but my manual said to never check the diff oil level unless you see a leak and never ever change it. They have that much faith in their synthetic oil.

Yep...that's what my owners manual says "Lifetime filled. Don't change unless there's a leak or axle went underwater." I mentioned that to my mechanic and he said "Yeah, I know that's what Ford says...but if it was my truck I'd change it." So, I'm left in a state of confusion...again. :)