Rear winshield wiper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

G

Here is a question:
I just purchased a used '99 Expedition that has a rear window wiper installed but no switch to turn it on. I asked the dealer and was told that it is an option and all the Expeditions come with the wiper pre-wired whether you want it or not, but to make it actually work, I would have to upgrade that option. Otherwise, it just sits there not functioning, looking "pretty".
Is that true, or am I being fooled, once again by a dealer?
Mind you, it is the same dealer who told me that I have low air in one of my tires because it is cold outside and the Expedition just got washed in hot water, which softened the rubber... No, nothing to do with the whole I found when I got home, I guess... :rolleyes:

OP
OP
G

rear wiper

The switch in my 2000 is right next to the front wiper switch, only a little further down the arm by maybe a inch or so. Very obvious.

As to it being an option and not hooked up, I would expedt that to be the case only if your rig is extreamly plain, basically a stripped model. Otherwise I would expect it to be there and functioning.

But then again, when I had to have a mirror replaced Ford itself insisted that the mirrors on my vehicle did not come on that model!

However, I would expect if you had to make it work, that getting the wiring hooked up to the wiper would be a pretty easy fix.

Are you sure that you are not mistaking the wiper switch for something else, and that in reality your wiper does not work? I am about to replace the wiper motor in mine for the 3rd time!

Scott

OP
OP
G

I am pretty sure I am looking at the right place. My manual clearly indicates what it should look like (the switch), just as you described it. The second "ring" on the handle is simply not there... Someone just made a point that being that I have Eddie Bauer edition, I would assume it would be there and working.
Thank you for the reply!
I might have to contact Ford just to make sure the sales guy is full of it. The question still remains: If it was there, what happened to it? Was the handle replaced and I am not told?.. Hmmm :mad:

Shaggy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
If thats the case I would contact the dealer and demand that they put the proper handle on it. Also, you may want to try and run a carfax report on the vehicle for some history.

OP
OP
G

There has been a lot of problem with the multi-function stalks and maybe someone replaced your defective one with a part from an F150. I would think they would be the same minus the rear wiper of course. Just a thought...............

Pat

OP
OP
G

Rear wiper

The rear wiper is standard equipment on all expeditions and especially on the EB model. Your sales jerk is blowing smoke.

I agree that it sounds like someone changed out the multifunction stalk with one from an F150. I don't know what kind of leverage you have at this point but, if I was you, I would take it back and make them replace it with the correct stalk.