Rubbing sound on cold take off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It's almost impossible to accurately describe sounds (for me, anyway) in written form. I suppose I could make one of those videos where all you can hear is wind noise and everything but the sound in question.

I always run in 2WD (2004 Eddie Bauer). Often - especially when it's cold - when I take off after starting the car when it's sat for a while there's a fairly noticeable "wah wah wah" sound that is consistent with wheel revolution speed. You can almost "feel" a rubbing or kind of a dry rotation sound. I thought maybe the front U-joints, but they should be making sounds faster than wheel speed. I know everyone says failing wheel bearing sounds are different on these, but I've had several go out on different vehicles in the past and it's always a constant grinding - not a once-per-wheel-revolution sound.

I have noticed that the sound a lot of times occurs if I'm going over an uneven surface - like turning into a ramped driveway where maybe the right wheel is going up the ramp before the left one and the front suspension is slightly torqued. It will go away with speed or after driving for a while and warming up all the moving parts.

I'm hoping that, like most things, this is a somewhat common thing and someone else has experienced and can give me a starting point for places to look?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The chances of it being a wheel bearing are slim. The reason I said that is a bearing will get louder with speed. Sadly you or a shop will need to rack it, and inspect not only the front end, but the driveshaft, and all components. The others can throw you a guess, but what if their wrong. Parts and labor ain't cheap.Get the diagnosis first.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
B

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree. And that's been my experience with wheel bearings, too.

I was just hoping someone might know of something slightly unique to these trucks. Like I was wondering if the axle shafts might commonly "rub" on something (where the exit the differential?).

I'm guessing it isn't too critical (at least for now), because it hasn't gotten any worse in the 9 months I've owned it. Just looking to eliminate one problem before another one pops up someplace else and diverts my attention.

Plati

Reaction score
brakes?

I know when I've had parking brake "issues" would be most noticeable sound when backing out of driveway and at low speed. Have diagnosed (to some level) with infrared heat gun on rotors. A normal braking system should repeatability show similar temps on left and right.

Yupster Dog

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Moose is correct you should never just throw parts at it but, you could do some routine maintenance (that needs to be done anyway)
How many miles on it? have you ever changed out the fluid in the differentials and transfer case? How does the transmission fluid look? Does your tires need rotating? How do the brakes feel? How do they look? (put on jack stands all around so you can spin and listen to each wheel)
As you are doing these maintenance items look around you might just spot what you are looking for.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
Try applying the parking brake while moving and see what you get. It could also be a tire issue. Lastly, as Yupster says, jack it up and spin each wheel, checking the shafts and joints and rear end that way...

John Stephan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had a noise that sounded like a wheel bearing but was actually really bad dry rotted tires.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

riphip

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same here on checking the tires. I have had the same sound when a belt in a tire slipped & needed replacing. Plugged it too many times.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
My driver side catalytic converter heat shield, came loose and rubbed the front drive shaft. It was louder on turns. They are only 1-2 inches apart.

Last edited: