Signal Delayed To Power Step Motor

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About one time in ten trips, the driver's side power step hangs "up." For example: I can close the door and fasten my seatbelt, start it up, back out of garage, put in D and drive fifty or so feet around a curved section of our driveway before I hear and feel that step retract. Had it in to dealer on Wednesday for an oil change and the service writer had the tech clean and lube the mounting arm pivots, yet it did it again today. Regrettably, we've only put 9,200 miles on it, and most of them were in 2019. It's not been driven off paved roads other than a flat section of gravel access road a couple times per week and we drive very slowly there to keep the lift gate clean. Like the Auto Stop-Start that stopped working (a plus) and since I've conditioned myself to listen for the signs that the step does retract I'll tolerate both things to avoid leaving it at the dealership where they will probably be "unable to duplicate" the problem. Eventually there'll be a failure making for an easy diagnosis. Anyone else have this issue? Have it fixed, and if so, what was problem?

scottdm

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the instrument cluster, are you able to toggle between Auto, Off, and Out to see if the running board reacts to the "Out" command? Just curious if it's a module or a mechanical issue. Seems surprising to have a mechanical failure so early on the running board motor since it typically takes several years of salty roads, mud, etc to kill the running board motors if they aren't maintained.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
About one time in ten trips, the driver's side power step hangs "up." For example: I can close the door and fasten my seatbelt, start it up, back out of garage, put in D and drive fifty or so feet around a curved section of our driveway before I hear and feel that step retract. Had it in to dealer on Wednesday for an oil change and the service writer had the tech clean and lube the mounting arm pivots, yet it did it again today. Regrettably, we've only put 9,200 miles on it, and most of them were in 2019. It's not been driven off paved roads other than a flat section of gravel access road a couple times per week and we drive very slowly there to keep the lift gate clean. Like the Auto Stop-Start that stopped working (a plus) and since I've conditioned myself to listen for the signs that the step does retract I'll tolerate both things to avoid leaving it at the dealership where they will probably be "unable to duplicate" the problem. Eventually there'll be a failure making for an easy diagnosis. Anyone else have this issue? Have it fixed, and if so, what was problem?

Mine does that occasionally. Usually after I get in it in the garage, pull out, remember that I left something in the house, and leave it running when I go back in to get it. After I get in and drove away it usually takes until I get to the end of my street for it to retract. But it always does so I’ve never thought anything of it. Works like a champ otherwise.

OP
OP
Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. Since all the really "important stuff" works reliably, I will consider it another of those little gremlins to live with; like the lift gate that operates its own terms, not mine.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have now decided to turn mine off permanently. I had them serviced many times and with the dirt / snow / mud / pebbles etc that collect in the mechanisms, its virtually impossible to make them last long. I have 117,000 kms and I need two new running board motors. I was told about 2k each. Yeah right....

MickeyP

Reaction score
ours did the same thing it would hang up and and one time it closed half way and my kid almost broke his ankle
this only happened on the passenger side, Dealer said it needed adjustment and so far we have not had any issues

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ours did the same thing it would hang up and and one time it closed half way and my kid almost broke his ankle
this only happened on the passenger side, Dealer said it needed adjustment and so far we have not had any issues

They don't force hard. If there's resistance, they kick out fairly easily. I doubt it would break bones, but anythings possible...

Reaction score
You can google a few videos on servicing them. I put them out when I clean the car, and then before going into winter fluid film the working parts. Often times the motors don't actually fail but the hinges will lock up due to lack of maintenance and cleaning. For our area with salt in the winter, the fluid film has worked well. My $0.02

OP
OP
Going_Going_Gone

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I do not think that there is any mechanical fault, more likely a glitch in the electronics that signal the motor on this one side. I only brought this up because other members have shared information on fixes to problems like the fluttering side-view mirrors and lift gate (mal)functions. I guess no one has learned of fix yet; and it probably is something as simple as an intermittent ground.

Gumby

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm pretty diligent about cleaning the boards and mechanisms regularly. I go to the wand wash and always extend the boards out while cleaning. The problem is the sludge / mud / road abrasives / salt / etc that gets kicked up and freezes solid. When you open the door to activate the boards the motor works hard to drop the boards. If it can't then it retracts or if unable to do that it simply cuts out leaving the board either fully extended or somewhere in between. These boards are not just on the Expy's but also on the F150's. Dealer says its a common problem...