Somehow I went past the speed limiter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was driving on the freeway and I decided to do a little burst of speed to see how fast I could get from 70 to 100mph and somehow I ended up going a little over 105mph when the limiter is suppose to stop at 100. The truck kind of paused at 100 for a moment and then slowly started to accelerate past it. After slowing down I tried it again and this time it stopped at 100mph like it normally does. Anyone know how this happened? I was on a mostly flat surface.

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
interesting post. I am not sure how ford works on this. Some vehicles have several speed sensors, like the engine speed, trans speed even wheel speed.
These sensors communication to the ecu and it may slow down fuel supply, stop coil impulses or apply brake pressure. Given the lack of info on ford's speed limiters i cant think of anything unless the sensor was not working properly.

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You didn't get rid of it with the custom tune?

After another test, it looks like the custom tune did get rid of it. It's just weird how it pauses at 100 and that's why I thought I still had it. I guess the expedition doesn't have much power at 100+ because it accelerates very slowly past 100. ELVATO or anyone else with their limiter removed, have you ever tried to test what the true top speed of the expedition is? I'm guessing around 120. I am going to test this some day when I have more open freeway, granted the expedition isn't very safe at high speeds, atleast I have some suspension and brake mods

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, mine pauses too. Even with tuning, there must still be something in there that cuts power after 100. You have the 5.4, I have a 4.6L. Based on "closed circuit" testing, mine goes about 106+ on a flat surface. On a hill, I think I got to 112.

It doesn't have the power to shift into OD.

I've heard of F150s going into the 120s, I think (with tuning of course.) Granted, I'd feel sketchier in an F150 than in an Expy doing those speeds. The Expys seem to be better planted.

Eddiebauerexpy

Reaction score
The 98 my dad used to have shut down at 98 mph. It was embarssing when i went to pass my buddes 85 Chevy 4x4 3/4ton with a 6.2L and could barely get past him.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yea, mine was in the 4k range when I hit 100. What is the size of your rear end?