Sound Under Steering Column

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Croner

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition. When slowing down, quickly increasing speed, or hitting bumps, there is a loud clicking or popping sound coming from what sounds under the steering column. Anyone had this happen before?

Lou Hamilton

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not noticed any noises under the steering wheel.

The adaptive cruise creates a grinding noise when it activates, but that is more like it comes from under or just behind the driver seat. That scared me at first because I was not expecting it. LOL

Can you post a video maybe?

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have a 2019 Expedition. When slowing down, quickly increasing speed, or hitting bumps, there is a loud clicking or popping sound coming from what sounds under the steering column. Anyone had this happen before?
Is your Expy a 2wd or 4wd? Does it occur in both 4wd and 2wd? Could it be the common wheel hub issue?

OP
OP
C

Croner

Reaction score
It occurs in 2wd and 4wd, it sounds like something loose, they checker the wheel hub and front grille. They said it sounds like it is under the steering column. I also have adaptive cruise off. I will try to get a video tomorrow.

josedirte4

Reaction score
@Croner I have something similar to what you're talking about. I am not sure if it's under the steering column or the drivers seat? Either way, I hear a popping sound when weight shifts in my seat or the car itself. I have taken mine (2020 limited max) into Ford twice with no luck. I have also had them perform the TSB for sat pan looseness, but that did no help. Have you had any luck?

TX-EXPMAX

Reaction score
Same exact issue in my 2019. It would pop when turning. They found a broken clock spring in the steering wheel and replaced it. Went away for a while then came back and has been back since 2021... Had them look at it again and claim they couldn't diagnose it. I gave up for now but would love if someone go to the bottom of this.

josedirte4

Reaction score
Yes I'm very familiar with the clock spring noise. My wife's 2016 explorer is on it's second replacement under warranty (thank God). The popping I hear is a distinct sound that I can actually feel in the driver seat. Strange part is if I'm not sitting in the seat and try shaking and moving it around, no sound.

Password

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have not noticed any noises under the steering wheel.

The adaptive cruise creates a grinding noise when it activates, but that is more like it comes from under or just behind the driver seat. That scared me at first because I was not expecting it. LOL

Can you post a video maybe?
Mine does the same, also does the grinding noise while coming to a stop. Never heard anything like that on any other car I drove with auto cruise.