Speaker wires

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tlbpirate

Reaction score
I have a '98 EXPY and just replaced the stereo and speakers (doors).
I had a question about the speaker wires.. I had to cut the factory plug ends off and wire them to the new speakers but could not find out which was + or -, it worked both ways. So I hooked them up and it sounds good but I was wondering if it makes a different with the wires. (The wires were not all the ame.)
Any HELP ??

BikeRider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It doesn't matter as far as frying your radio. If the polarity is backwards, the radio will see less load (8ohms) then if it were wired correctly.

As for the sound, you may be lacking bass if the wires are backwards.

I'm searching for diagram now.

Next time just get the adapters, it's a lot easier that way and allows you to put back in the stock speakers just in case you decide to sell the car.

flakito1000

Reaction score
The easier way to test the polarities on the speaker wires is by using a multimeter.

Set your multimeter to test DC Voltage.

Connect the leads from your multimeter to the speaker wires coming from the radio. Dont connect speakers yet until you do the neccesary reading.

Play a CD or radio and put some volume.

You may see variation of voltage.
If you see a negative sign before the voltage reading change the polarities of the leads. The negative sign should not be there.

Now where you got the red lead is + and where the black lead is will be negative.

Is not good to connect the polarities backwards. If connected backwards your speaker cone will go inward giving you a poor sound quality damaging your speakers and eventually your headunit outputs.

Good luck and hopefully this help you and many others.