steering wobble...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so here is the problem. when going up a steep incline today, near the top the steering got really wobbly. wheel bearing going out you think? it went away and it seems to only really affect the ex when going up steep hills...

toms89

technical advisor
Reaction score
Pavement? Offroad? Was it going into 4wd?

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its not all the time though. only seems to happen when traveling uphill. there is no grinding or pulling or nothing, so i didnt think it was wheel bearing. and i dont get wobble all the time, so its not steering stabilizer, tires out of balance, and shouldnt be the weights. but i will def check to make sure...

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
its not all the time though. only seems to happen when traveling uphill. there is no grinding or pulling or nothing, so i didnt think it was wheel bearing. and i dont get wobble all the time, so its not steering stabilizer, tires out of balance, and shouldnt be the weights. but i will def check to make sure...

Rag joint? Pull the wheels and or jack the truck up and use a pry bar to see if there is any movement up and down, then grab a buddy if you a little guy like me and see if there is any excessive side to side movement. Also check out your end links, swaybar bushings and any other suspension under the front end, may even be a loose bolt possibly.

panda24619

Full Access Members
Reaction score
well im the buddy you need! just were both not small... haha could it be time to replace that short shaft like you needed to last year??? haha could just be some sort joint going loose. i know some good hills by my place where we can go check it out if you wanna.

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so now i have no idea. gonna crawl under there tonight but dont think its gonna help much. now its REALLY bad while coasting, not so bad under power, but wobbles all the time now. funny thing was, i heard some intermittent clunking/clanking/clicking noise, usually in spurts of 2 or so. i put it in 4H, and the noise and wobble went away. took it out of 4H and after a few miles, came back. je ne s'ais pas...

OP
OP
nvycrmn

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
majik, what is the rag joint you speak of? could it be the CV joint? i know i have had to replace my right side half-shaft for a long time (thanks for reminding me panda!) due to a hole in the boot...