Sunroof glass

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

seventieslord

Reaction score
I've got a crack developing in my front sunroof glass and I fear I'm going to need to replace it soon. Apparently I'm looking at about CAD$1000 even from my preferred low cost online dealer. I'm not too happy about that

I haven't checked Wreckers and junkyards yet, but they're all capitalists too, and if they know it's $1000 new, they can get away with asking me for $700.

My question is, has anyone ever had any success getting a custom piece of glass made to replace their sunroof glass? Based on schematics it's got two sharp corners and two rounded ones. The rounded ones are the challenge, but glass guys could make the cuts, couldn't they?

Still, that's not even the biggest challenge is it? From what I can tell, it's not a flat piece of glass, it's got a little bit of a curve to it. That might be insurmountable.

The crack started at an edge and hasn't reached its conclusion yet but is aiming towards another edge. Perhaps if I can encourage the crack to make its way to another edge, then that's the end of it, and the glass will continue to do its job for years to come. Is it unreasonable to expect that?

SyndicateZ

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Use your insurance to get it replaced at a dealer etc?

Rob6805

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is it the moving glass or the fixed glass? Either way it most likely was struck by a rock. Not sure why your insurance would not cover it. I know I have full glass coverage on my policy.

OP
OP
S

seventieslord

Reaction score
Is it the moving glass or the fixed glass? Either way it most likely was struck by a rock. Not sure why your insurance would not cover it. I know I have full glass coverage on my policy.
It's the moving glass.

The crack is due to a mishap that occurred while I was changing the track. It is my fault. If an insurer was reviewing the crack they would be able to easily determine this based on how it looks. And that of course, is only if I am even covered for glass, and I am not. Not all policies are the same.

jar0023

Reaction score
Way more than just the shape of the glass to make a custom piece fit. Curve, corners, tempered, mount bonded on, seal on edge. Mine turned up cracked after a major storm. I located a replacement at a recycler for $500. Four bolts to swap it out. I can’t imagine a proper piece of glass getting custom made for less than buying a used panel.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My question is, has anyone ever had any success getting a custom piece of glass made to replace their sunroof glass? Based on schematics it's got two sharp corners and two rounded ones. The rounded ones are the challenge, but glass guys could make the cuts, couldn't they?
I’ve had some glass cut for windows, they don’t cut any type of glass. Most times they can order the right type cheaper and then cut it to fit if needed. Sunroof glass is very common. But you are paying for a finished ready to install piece.
Even your glass guy will then have to prep it for install.
For max savings. Call around. Aftermarket does exist and many shops use that.
Also. Add glass coverage to your policy, It’s dollars a year.