Tie rod replacement with no alignment?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bolt snapper

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I can sort of anticipate the responses I may get to this question, but I'll ask it anyway.

I have an 04 EB and just put a nice set of used tires on it. It has 185k miles. The truck's in good shape, but not stellar. I may keep it for a couple more years - I may decide to upgrade.

The tire shop that installed the used tires said the passenger side inner tie rod was in really bad shape and needed replaced. They gave me a quote to replace it and do an alignment. I replaced both inner and outer tie rods this afternoon myself.

My question is: Both replacement parts looked to be exactly the same length as the originals. I counted turns of the outer tie rod when removing. I measured from the face of the rotor at two different points back to the frame before removing the tie rods. When I put it back together (turning the outer tie rod back on the same number of turns), the two rotor-to-frame measurements were exactly the same. Given that this isn't a $50k rig (more like a $1500 rig), but also given that I'd rather not replace tires again soon, you think I'm ok driving it without an alignment seeing as how the number of turns and two measurements are exactly the same as before I tore into it?

As always, I value the input of you folks on here. You've been incredibly helpful to me.

Last edited:

Hugo201595

Reaction score
you can get them pretty straight yourself just have somebody hold the steering wheel while you do it so the steering wheel stays straight and isn’t cocked to one side.

Trainmaster

Old School Member
Reaction score
If you were careful about comparing the new parts to the old, marking, measuring and counting, you should be fine. I've done this many times without a problem. You can also set your tow with chalk and a measuring tape -- old skool like -- and that works too.

If the steering feels good, you're probably right on. Watch for wear.