Timing job - HELP - timing marks no longer line up?!?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GaryB

Reaction score
I'm nearing the end (hopefully) of THE timing job we all know and dread. Thought things were going pretty smooth. All New FoMoCo parts. I finished the front tensioners, guides, oil pump, chains, etc. 2 nights ago. double checked to make sure all the marks lined up. Used the special tool for the crank, etc. Last night I put all the roller followers in and had to rotate the motor several times. Came back tonight to install the front cover, and I'm sick to my stomach because the timing marks aren't lining up with the chain anymore?!? I seem to be about 7 links off at the moment. How is this possible? Would like to hear from someone else before I tear it all down again (damn roller followers will kill me yet).

I should add that it's rotating by hand with a 1/2" rachet. Has plenty of audible compression, and some parts of the rotation are harder than others, but it seems fine.

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
What you are experiencing is normal. After you finish re-timing the engine and pull the tensioner pins, the timing chain is not going to slip off the timing marks.
If you rotate the engine after you set the timing, the timing marks will not line up again until a few rotations have been completed. The teeth on the cam sprockets and links on the chain are not perfectly in-sync with one another. As long as the timing marks were lined up after you pulled the tensioner pins, then you are fine.
By hand, if the engine makes one full rotation normally (with all the roller followers in), then you are timed correctly. You'll hear it if valves hit the pistons...

I had the same issue back when i did the timing on my 2010, but it is completely normal.

purevw

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The timing marks indicate an initial reference only. The marks line up differently after rotation.

OP
OP
G

GaryB

Reaction score
Hey Guys - happy to report that all is well. I still have the tires off, but I've primed it and then started it until full hot. Idles at 60psi of oil pressure hot. Scared the crap out of me last night when I couldn't get it to prime. Took oil filter off, and got a hose down into the housing and added oil to help prime pump. That didn't seem to work, then it did. Thought for a minute I was starting over. Took about six 15 second bursts of cranking the motor (without the crank sensor connected).

Hoping to take it on a test ride tonight.