Tire randomly developed a flat spot

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mobile314

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with a tire that randomly developed a flat spot from one day to the next?

I don't think it matters in this circumstance but it's a 2019 Ford Expedition Max Limited Stealth. Daily driven by the wifey on the highway every day. I say that because I've been a shady tree mechanic long enough to know that if your vehicle sits for an extended period, it will develop a flat spot. She said she didnt hit any curbs, didnt slam the breaks and didn't hit any major pothole.
So googling and search the forum on this issue is tough because I am only getting results for flat spot from sitting to long. But its so strange. From one day to the next, it developed a bad vibration. Truck was pulling to the right. Wasn't hard to find the flat spot. I would say there is about 45% tread left on the tire. I hate to just buy one new tire versus getting them all done when its good and ready. Ive read stuff where guys have over inflated the tire for a 100 miles and apparently fixed it to some extent. Granted its the wife and kid school and sport truck, Id rather not risk it.
Anyways, Ive never heard of a tire randomly disforming so I thought I would throw it out there and see if anyone had experience with that on any vehicle.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with you. This doesn't happen to modern tires. Whatever it is, it's most likely not a problem with your truck.

Take it to Costco or a tire shop and get a professional to look at it.

Going_Going_Gone

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If there is a structural defect with the tire, probably the best bet would be to take it someplace that could do a road force balance on it. The most aCostco or tire shop could do would be to do a visual inspection and/or test drive.

OP
OP
mobile314

mobile314

Reaction score
I agree with you. This doesn't happen to modern tires. Whatever it is, it's most likely not a problem with your truck.

Take it to Costco or a tire shop and get a professional to look at it.
As soon as I found the flat spot, I was a bit relieved to learn it was that and a complexity such as alignment or lane assist module, etc etc.

If there is a structural defect with the tire, probably the best bet would be to take it someplace that could do a road force balance on it. The most aCostco or tire shop could do would be to do a visual inspection and/or test drive.
While I was initially researching the forum, I kept running into "road force balancing". Now that I looked it up, that sounds legit and a must whenever you throw all new tires on. At this point, I might as well just throw a new tire on it versus trying to salvage the worn one.

Appreciate the responses gentlemen. Anyone else that has an explanation or comment on the matter I'm still so curious and all ears.

techdude99

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Road Force balancing is the most accurate way to balance your tires.

The issue you're describing is usually caused by a hard impact, a hard and sudden stop, or in rare instance a manufacturing defect. Let us know what you find out.

As far as a solution, replacing the tire is the right approach.

OP
OP
mobile314

mobile314

Reaction score
Road Force balancing is the most accurate way to balance your tires.

The issue you're describing is usually caused by a hard impact, a hard and sudden stop, or in rare instance a manufacturing defect. Let us know what you find out.

As far as a solution, replacing the tire is the right approach.
I definitely learned about Road Force balancing through all of this! A no brainer once I replace all 4.

I agree, I am leaning more towards she hard hit a pothole or bump that was discredited as minor or a random defect. The tires are Sailun terramax hlt. While Sailun I believe is not Chinese and is Canadian, being an off brand likely produced during COVID era cant rule out rare defect. Non the less, I am replacing the tire with a Kumho Crugen HP27 and come early next year, Ill do it right with a more name brand, followed by road force balance. I am going to opt out having tire provider dispose of tire for me so that I can have a look and Ill snap some pictures and upload on here.

On another note. While these 22" rims sure look purdy and sporty, they have left me disappointed with the tire options. I quickly learned on here I would have to downsize to 18" rim if I would to install some proper big sidewalled battle ready tires. There is an option to go from 285/45/22 up to 285/55/22, but not worth the additional coin to gain a little bit of sidewall IMHO. Cheers!

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmcritt22